Controversial opinions on metal

Didn't Judas Priest start the whole "wear gay shit at concerts thing?"

Rob Halford is often credited as the originator of the look that included what was, at the time, worn at certain gay clubs and gatherings.

In a wider sense though to dress up and act out a certain gimmick, story, charachter, mythology etc on stage has probably been present for as long as we have used stage performances.

In a mood for stirring controversy so here's a few of mine.

- New Darkthrone is listenable. I found myself playing Circle the Wagons a lot when it came out because it's so damn catchy.

- Ride the Lightning is the best of Metallica's 'Big Four' albums, though Kill 'em All is their greatest overall album.

- Slayer have never done (and probably never will do) an album as awesome as Show No Mercy.

- Electric Wizard are getting better. Although Dopethrone is obviously their greatest, their sound is getting more refined without losing their doom roots.

- Maiden > Priest. Fucking deal with it.

- Agalloch are probably the greatest band on the black metal scene. Very few albums affect me to the extent that Ashes Against the Grain and Marrow of the Spirit do. Try driving on a countryside highway during a storm with the former playing; awesome experience.

- I love Blut Aus Nord as much as the next guy, but the 777 albums have really failed to meet the precedence set by their early works. Still enjoy them however.

- In regards to Witchfinder General, Death Penalty > Friends of Hell. That can't be too controversial.

- Coroner deserve greater than the small amount of attention they receive. Easily one of the greatest innovators of tech/thrash going around.

- Obituary are brilliant, fuck the haters.

-???

-Profit!

I thought Marrow of the Spirit was a huge disappointment. Also, the 777 albums are some of Blut Aus Nord's best work IMO (although I've yet to hear the newest one).

Schwärzung;10463658 said:

- New Darkthrone is listenable. I found myself playing Circle the Wagons a lot when it came out because it's so damn catchy.

- Ride the Lightning is the best of Metallica's 'Big Four' albums, though Kill 'em All is their greatest overall album.

- Slayer have never done (and probably never will do) an album as awesome as Show No Mercy.

- Electric Wizard are getting better. Although Dopethrone is obviously their greatest, their sound is getting more refined without losing their doom roots.

- Agalloch are probably the greatest band on the black metal scene. Very few albums affect me to the extent that Ashes Against the Grain and Marrow of the Spirit do. Try driving on a countryside highway during a storm with the former playing; awesome experience.

- I love Blut Aus Nord as much as the next guy, but the 777 albums have really failed to meet the precedence set by their early works. Still enjoy them however.

- In regards to Witchfinder General, Death Penalty > Friends of Hell. That can't be too controversial.

- Coroner deserve greater than the small amount of attention they receive. Easily one of the greatest innovators of tech/thrash going around.

-???

-Profit!

Not really controversial, I just think you have bad taste and don't make sense at times.

How can RTL be better than KEA while KEA is the better than all of Metallica's material? o_O

I think RTL is one of the best releases Metallica did. However MOP and AJFA is up there as well. I actually think KEA is overrated. However I enjoyed the band more or less up to, and including, Re-Load.

Aggaloch was great on "against the grain" but "marrow of the spirit" was a huge disapointment. I dont even think I would call that album good. Equally so with their latest work which didnt catch me either.

And finally, I love the 777-albums. Especially the second release. I think he really found the right balace on that one.

Metallica's MoP is the most overrated from the 80's material of the band, easily. Just think about 2 things:

-How much MoP thrashes for being considered one of the greatest albums of the style? barely the half of the songs have some thrash feeling, the rest are failed non thrashy experiments; The thing: Metallica trying Sabbath and failing, Sanitarium is the ballad to cash in the uprising glam movement (and they did it with Nothing else Matters, right?) Lepper is a boring and overlong shit with a decent midsection and nothing more, Orion is the hippie instrumental - thanx Cliff for your hippie contributions (cause Cliff was a huge fan of stuff like R.E.M and he brought all the acoustics and soft stuff to the band).

-Compared to the thrash albums released by the time, it feels simply inferior. How can Metallica match the intensity and raw brutality of Dark Angel's Darkness Descends? they can't. How Metallica can try to compete with the dark feeling of Slayer's Reign in Blood? no chance in hell!

I honestly think AFJA was some kind of resurrection for the band, but sadly they decided to listen to the producers, the media and decided to make the black album.

Machine Head's Burn My Eyes and The Blackening are two great fucking albums. The rest of their discography is not to be spoken of however.

I think RTL is one of the best releases Metallica did. However MOP and AJFA is up there as well. I actually think KEA is overrated. However I enjoyed the band more or less up to, and including, Re-Load.

Aggaloch was great on "against the grain" but "marrow of the spirit" was a huge disapointment. I dont even think I would call that album good. Equally so with their latest work which didnt catch me either.

And finally, I love the 777-albums. Especially the second release. I think he really found the right balace on that one.

I agree with the Agalloch. Faustian Echoes is really disapointing aswell. I was expecting a continuation of what the band was doing and they just took a 1'80 or something.

Electric Wizard are getting better. Although Dopethrone is obviously their greatest, their sound is getting more refined without losing their doom roots.

1) Electric Wizard are getting better, but that is not to say they were bad before. But I disagree, I feel Come My Fanatics is their best work.

2) No way. Priest is a metric fuckton better than Maiden.

3) Totally agree. Their live shows, in specific, have been fucking surreal.

4) Cosmosophy was fucking weird, but The Desanctification, and Sects were fucking awesome. My favorite work by them was still The Work Which Transforms God.

-???

-Profit!
I agree with everything except for the Agalloch part. They aren't Black Metal. I just don't see enough traits.

Metallica's MoP is the most overrated from the 80's material of the band, easily. Just think about 2 things:

-How much MoP thrashes for being considered one of the greatest albums of the style? barely the half of the songs have some thrash feeling, the rest are failed non thrashy experiments; The thing: Metallica trying Sabbath and failing, Sanitarium is the ballad to cash in the uprising glam movement (and they did it with Nothing else Matters, right?) Lepper is a boring and overlong shit with a decent midsection and nothing more, Orion is the hippie instrumental - thanx Cliff for your hippie contributions (cause Cliff was a huge fan of stuff like R.E.M and he brought all the acoustics and soft stuff to the band).

-Compared to the thrash albums released by the time, it feels simply inferior. How can Metallica match the intensity and raw brutality of Dark Angel's Darkness Descends? they can't. How Metallica can try to compete with the dark feeling of Slayer's Reign in Blood? no chance in hell!

I honestly think AFJA was some kind of resurrection for the band, but sadly they decided to listen to the producers, the media and decided to make the black album.

Music is not a race! And who really judges an album on how much thrash it is? I judge albums on whether they are good or not. If MoP had no thrash in it it could still be awesome. Do you think they went for intensity and rawness of the early thrash movement? Obviously not. Is it a thrash record? I would say classic 2nd generation thrash. The stuff most of the bigger bands developed into doing (Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Testament etc). I usually call it "heavy thrash" as to point out how the heavy metal influences become more apparent.

Master of Puppets isn't exactly thrash-oriented. There are some fairly aggressive parts but overall that's not what they were going for. If you want "raw brutality" and "dark feelings" then I don't really know why you would pick Puppets. That's just not what it does. This is kind of like complaining that Paranoid doesn't have enough blastbeats. On Ride the Lightning and Master of Pupppets Metallica were moving away from pure thrash and working with extended song structures, a lot of guitar harmonies, and some actual vocal melody.