Controversial opinions on metal

lol, no, I'm serious. Maybe it wasn't chords....like I said, I don't know shit about playing guitar. I heard that he didn't know all the shit you should know about playing, yet he was still able to play amazingly. Kind of like he played what sounded good.
If you mean guitar theory, there are MANY guitarists (including myself) that don't need to learn it to write a song, I've learned 50+ chords by myself with no form of learning other then sitting and playing my guitar.

Misha from Periphery is a example of this, he never studied theory, Ola englund is another example, terrence hobbs is another exmaple and i'm sure there's quite a few more.

Saying Dimebag was a bad guitarist is like saying chicken tastes bad, he had the technicality, the soul AND his own style.

Dime had a style, sure. And he was good, but at the end of the day he wasn't THAT good. He could come up with a pretty good riff, but nothing spectacular. Saying he was a bad guitarist is way of the mark, but I think people get tired of hearing him be put on the list of "BEST GUITARISTS IN METAL EVER".

To wit: the riff to Cowboys from Hell is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I'd take Dimebag over the t559280923805982095 other guitarists in metal and music in general who lack any redeeming qualities as far as style and innovation goes. Not everyone is capable of being a cookie cutter guitarist guys. Once again you guys are correlating technical skill with quality and therefore determining how good a guitarist is which is almost never correct.

I'd take Dimebag over the t559280923805982095 other guitarists in metal and music in general who lack any redeeming qualities as far as style and innovation goes.

Whether or not he's better than a shitload of guitarists doesn't change the fact that a shitload of guitarists are better than him ;)

Whether or not he's better than a shitload of guitarists doesn't change the fact that a shitload of guitarists are better than him ;)
Ok, there are many people more SKILLED than Chuck Schuldiner, but are they REALLY better? Is Jeff Loomis better than John Petrucci? Is James Hetfield better than Dave Mustaine?

I'd take Dimebag over the t559280923805982095 other guitarists in metal and music in general who lack any redeeming qualities as far as style and innovation goes. Not everyone is capable of being a cookie cutter guitarist guys. Once again you guys are correlating technical skill with quality and therefore determining how good a guitarist is which is almost never correct.

Yes, but he wrote shitty music so who cares how good of a guitarist he was?

Define "shitload". I can think of 10 guitarists right now that are inferior in the categories of skill, technicality, and soloing:

Varg Vikernes
Both guitarists for Amon Amrth
That guy from Pathology
Scott Ian
James Hetfield
Samoth
Either Hoffman brother
Kerry King
Both the guys in Dragonforce
Any guitarist that's ever been in Cradle of Filth

That guy from Pathology
Gonna have to disagree with you on that one. People on this board hate bands just because they are popular, and you should change your post saying " I can think of 10 guitarists right now that are inferior in the categories of skill, technicality, and soloing" to " I can think of 10 POPULAR guitarists right now that are inferior in the categories of skill, technicality, and soloing", or is just does't make sense, OBVIOUSLY there's quite a few people not even close to the level of skill Dimebag had, so why do you have to state the obvious?

Define "shitload". I can think of 10 guitarists right now that are inferior in the categories of skill, technicality, and soloing

There are shitloads of guitarists that aren't as good as DImebag...we just obviously don't know their names because they're probably pretty worthless. And technicality has nothing to do with how good a guitarist is. The ability to write riffs/solos/songs/albums that are worth a damn is more indicative of skill.

What does that have to do with what I just said?

Yes, but he wrote shitty music so who cares how good of a guitarist he was?

I disagree and I care. What say you now?

There are shitloads of guitarists that aren't as good as DImebag...we just obviously don't know their names because they're probably pretty worthless. And technicality has nothing to do with how good a guitarist is. The ability to write riffs/solos/songs/albums that are worth a damn is more indicative of skill.

That's what I just fucking said and you responded with some idiotic statement. wtf