Controversial opinions on metal

lol NO ... not even fucking close.

i'm also with some of you guys on Dimebag, he was actually a pretty good guitar player.

edit: and Burgerboy, are you just now realizing how bad of a drummer Benante is?

Show me something truly inspiring by randy rhoads... YAWNNNNNNNNNN

Define "shitload". I can think of 10 guitarists right now that are inferior in the categories of skill, technicality, and soloing:

Varg Vikernes
Both guitarists for Amon Amrth
That guy from Pathology
Scott Ian
James Hetfield
Samoth
Either Hoffman brother
Kerry King
Both the guys in Dragonforce
Any guitarist that's ever been in Cradle of Filth

The following list all anihilate Dimebag in the categories stated above (in no particular order):

Greg Howe
Tony Macalpine
Andy Timmons
Gianluca Ferro
Brett Garsed
Allan Holdsworth
Prashant Aswani
Alessandro Benvenuti
Shawn Lane
Marcel Coenen

If you need more i can spew out a couple hundred more for you.

I'd take Dimebag over the t559280923805982095 other guitarists in metal and music in general who lack any redeeming qualities as far as style and innovation goes. Not everyone is capable of being a cookie cutter guitarist guys. Once again you guys are correlating technical skill with quality and therefore determining how good a guitarist is which is almost never correct.

No I'm equating memorability and quality of songs produced with quality of the player.

Saying that he's better than the scads of imitators and posers isn't saying much. Stack him up against the actual ELITES of metal over the generations of sound and is he even in the top 10? 20? 50? He's not the greatest by a long shot, and sure I'd rather listen to Pantera than some bullshit early-2000's nu-metal shit, but that doesn't earn his reputation as this "god of metal".

Show me something truly inspiring by randy rhoads... YAWNNNNNNNNNN

ummm, thats a pretty fucking retarded thing to say.

You do realize that along with Ritchie Blackmore, he was one of the first guitarists to bring the classical influence and sound to hard rock and metal right? The guy inspired thousands of guitarists and helped spawn a whole new style of playing that is still widely used to this day.

one of the most influential guitarists of all time i'd say.

Dimebag's leads are incredibly annoying. This isn't even debatable. If you think his solos are anything other than a hillbilly sitting on a trem bar you need to get your ears cleaned. The fact that Pantera deliberately used incredibly obnoxious scooped productions really doesn't help. My idea of hell is being forced to listen to Dimebag noodle around with that shrill bullshit guitar tone for eternity. I'm sure if you gave him a strat and a blues band to back him up he could do some decent, non-horrible stuff but the fact is that he deliberately chose to be the most obnoxious lead guitarist on earth.

Pantera really had awful production. I think it ruined a lot of the "heft" that their recordings might have otherwise had. It's just so thin, like old Fear Factory. Even with good headphones or in my car it comes across as limp and weak as fuck.

Stoner Doom Metal is a load of boring crap. Traditional doom metal, especially Saint Vitus and the right Trouble albums crap all over it. I've never understood why it got so popular, especially compared to trad doom. It all sounds the same and it all sucks. I suppose some label SV as being stoner doom. I don't know, but the bands more specifically associated with that label, like Sleep and EW are pretty much boring to me.

I hated The Least Successful Human Cannonball the first few times I (tried) to listen to it, but somehow I'm enjoying this now. The groove is actually much more up-tempo than I remember (more Cowboys than anything) and it has a bit of a tech-y bent to it too. I think the monk chanting song threw me off. Right now I'm enjoying this more than The Antichrist (which doesn't say much but still).

Stoner Doom Metal is a load of boring crap. Traditional doom metal, especially Saint Vitus and the right Trouble albums crap all over it. I've never understood why it got so popular, especially compared to trad doom. It all sounds the same and it all sucks. I suppose some label SV as being stoner doom. I don't know, but the bands more specifically associated with that label, like Sleep and EW are pretty much boring to me.

To say they crap all over Stoner Doom, and that it all sounds the same is complete bullshit. The psychedelic elements of stoner doom give the genre such a wide range of flavors to mix with their slow bass driven filth. I think a lot of members on this board would love a lot of Stoner doom, but dont because it will lower their street cred, so theyll just stick to whats "true" and not what sounds good.

"True" or not, I listen to what my ears like, which in this case would be stoner doom over traditional doom. Stoner doom is a lot more appealing to my ears than traditonal doom mainly due to its ability to crush or groove me into a fuzzy stonery abyss that a slew of bands take me to. Traditonal doom makes me want to singalong in a drunken stupor which is a place only a small few can take me to. Saint vitus is definitely not one of them.

Are we talking about stuff like Dopethrone or stuff like Sleep's Holy Mountain? Because I don't really care for stuff like Dopethrone, but Sleep's Holy Mountain has quite a bit going on.

Drone and funeral doom can fuck right off. I'm all for lulling the listener into a daze, but every single funeral/drone album I've ever heard sounded like it's the intro to a song that never starts.

Drone and funeral doom can fuck right off. I'm all for lulling the listener into a daze, but every single funeral/drone album I've ever heard sounded like it's the intro to a song that never starts.

I kind of get what you're saying about drone, but funeral doom... Come on man.

Come my Fanatics>Dopethrone

Not controversial. Come My Fanatics is easily their best work.

Im cant get into a lot of Funeral doom but I do enjoy Evoken and The Howling Void.

Drone is a completely different story. Its hard for me to get into it on record by myself, but seeing Earth, Boris or even Sunn live, fuck, I could listen to that shit all night.