Controversial opinions on metal

Symbolic is actually the best Death album. Although I pretty much like all of them.

And I agree that while Chuck's vocals became worse with each album.

All of you are fucking retarded, TSOP is full of amazing riffs, and if the vocals are a "prominent" feature in you're mind then well i'm sorry but you know nothing about music, considering the person who started the whole Death bullshit likes King Diamond who is 90% of the time listened to because the listener was told he sounds like hes on fucking helium, while the riffs are pretty much background music (also consider the fact hes a solo artist and has a bunch of guitarists) and then consider the fact that Chuck Schuldiner originally was ONLY a guitarist and heard Possessed and wanted to sound like that, so he "growled" and DID influence every DM band after him, this does not mean he INVENTED death metal but Death was the heaviest band to come out with a release and a bunch of bands followed them.

I really have no fucking idea why you cunts pretty much only listen to music with no progression, melody, or riffs that aren't just fast palm muting with double bass in the background, I mean seriously human is the last good Death album? Are you fucking kidding me?

Death are and always will be one of the greatest DM bands of all time, no matter what any of you rabid forever Death hating clowns on this board say.

Oh, and that Origin track is fucking wicked, but if you think that anything from TSoP influenced Origin than you are just blowing air out of your ass and obviously have no fucking clue what your commenting on. We get it, you clearly don't like technical death metal ... and you probably never will, especially if you consider TSoP to be "overly technical", lol .... that album isn't even their most "technical" work.

Death sucked after Human.
... Symbolic >>>> Human

Death >>>> King Diamond

I'd take his shrieking of Painkiller any day to the Halford original.
This.

... i'd also say Chuck was one of the greatest death metal vocalist and the lyrics on most of his stuff were top notch.

Chuck did not "create" death metal but his band was the first to expose such a brutal singing style that influenced many bands and Death still grew on every album influencing even more sub-genres, like progressive death metal, technical death metal, melodic death metal, etc. Yes Possessed was "first" but Death is clearly a heavier band and the death metal movement didn't really start until after Death.

No single band "created" death metal. But Death were one of the first, they have demo tapes from 83(i'v posted that demo numerous times) a year before Possessed released their demo.... And if anything, their demo tapes actually sound more like death metal than Possessed who still had major thrash influence in their music.

Possessed were one of the first dm bands, but they most certainly weren't the first.

Well not really. TSOP's vocal performance is just not good I'm sitting here listening to spirit crusher for reference and it just sounds like he's hurting himself. It does actually sound better than I remember it, for what that's worth and I do remember the vocals being the worst part so I may partially retract that criticism.

If you dont like high pitched vocals, traditional metal is just not for you. And the King's place in metal history is well deserved, I think... for Melissa and Dont Break the Oath, if nothing else.

It's not a comparison you nitwit ... just stating that i think Death made much better music than King Diamond.

So you're saying Death made better music than King Diamond.
That's comparing Death's music's to King Diamond's isnt it?

Jesus fuck maybe the world did end the 21st.

So you're saying Death made better music than King Diamond.
That's comparing Death's music's to King Diamond's isnt it?

Jesus fuck maybe the world did end the 21st.

No, im not comparing them or their music to each other beacuse they play two completely different types of metal.

King Diamond is just garbage to my ears, so there is no comparison there.

It's not a comparison you nitwit ... just stating that i think Death made much better music than King Diamond.

He's talking about EffigyForgotten's post, as he was comparing Chuck's vocals to King Diamond for no valid reason.

Oh, and for the record, I like plenty of technical death metal. Just not The Sound of Perseverance, because it honestly isn't a good album for several reasons that I already highlighted.

While I have you here, my gripe with that particular album is the obvious attempt to incorporate disjointed moments of technical flash and the bad, very prominent vocals and stupid childish lyrics. You won't convince me otherwise.

That completely ignores the first point of disjointed technical flashiness...

Mercyful Fate is easily one of the best metal bands of all time, so anyone calling out King Diamond as garbage should probably listen to Melissa over and over until they like it.

The Sound of Perseverance is an incoherent, disjointed mess that serves no purpose other than to showcase Schuldiner's technical skill. The songs are mostly all excessively similar in structure and show the immaturity that Chuck possessed as a songwriter and his attempt to mask this with his ability failed.

Death metal can be done with a high degree of technical skill, but usually not as the focal point, it needs a band who can craft a brilliant song and not just a 'sick solo.'

for example

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that kills the music for me when listening to Mercyful Fate or KD are his fucking vocals ... just absolutely horrendous IMO, but there is no denying that Shermann and Denner were one of the best guitar duos of their time.

... and LOL at the rest of your post. I'm not even going to bother going into another Death argument with you ... you're one of the guys im talking about that just spews out blind hate for the band everytime they're even brought up, and yet you post up shit like paramount. What the fuck is wrong with you?

If people would stop bringing up tired fucking arguments like Death I would never comment on them. I don't go out of my way to comment, and if the discussion just happens to be about them I'm not going to say DEATH SUX OMG LISTEN TO THE CHASM INSTEAD YOU GAYS...but an argument happened so I put my two cents into the piggy bank.

However, as I've said COUNTLESS times my taste in other styles of music has absolutely no weight on what I think about and listen to in regards to metal. So what? I like different styles of music and I listen to them for mostly different reasons.

I don't listen to Carissa's Wierd to rock out and hear good riffs, and I don't listen to Virgin Steele to facilitate contemplation and depression. I don't listen to Paramore because I want in depth and complex songwriting, and I don't listen to Negura Bunget because I want to hear fun, catchy riff or chorus.

tl;dr

Suck a thousand dicks

Do yourself a favor, don't.

You think that people listen to King Diamond's solo work primarily because of his vocals. I can't think of a metal vocalist's solo career that is less true of (in that the instrumental side of his band still so strong and elaborate). Which albums have you even listened to?