Controversial opinions on metal

Good tech death is when the complexity and speed are used to make sort of a "suffocating wall" of sound. Bad tech death is when it's all directionless weedlies. Brain Drill's first album was the former, second was the latter.

:erk:

I have both Brain Drill albums and have to say minus the vocals, they don't stray from their original sound one bit.

Brain drill is too techy for me but Rings of Saturn has to be the worst I've ever heard.

Space guitar noises breakdown riffs. Repeat.over and over. I had to turn that shit off after two tracks.

That Stargazer song sounds like a Coroner ripoff.

Really? I think Stargazer has more thrash influence in their riffs than a lot of people acknowledge, but I don't think a Coroner influence is that obvious. I hear more blatant Coroner influence in the debuts of Atheist and Nocturnus.

Brain drill is too techy for me but Rings of Saturn has to be the worst I've ever heard.

Space guitar noises breakdown riffs. Repeat.over and over. I had to turn that shit off after two tracks.

Good to know this. I'll be staying away from that album.

For some reason i thought they were a deathcore band so i never bothered checking them out, but i was curious since their new album seemed to getting good reviews.

What period of Coroner? RIP, No More Color, Mental Vortex? In the first minute or two there's maybe a bit of 80's Coroner in the riffage but there are obvious differences too, and the rest of the song has no semblance to me.

EDIT: And if it's individual riffs, who gives a shit? Coroner has "ripped off" many riffs too.

The whole melody behind the singing sounded like later Coroner with a whole bunch of noise overlayed with it. I'm too lazy to go try and figure out which particular song.

Actually, if you're talking about the second verse ("For the song has changed this hour...") at about 0:54, I get a vague Son of Lilith reminder, although if you are referring to that particular part, Annihilator did similarly a year earlier than Coroner on Imperiled Eyes.

EDIT: But fwiw, I do think it's ridiculous that newer bands like Stargazer and such get labels like "avant-garde death/black metal" on M-A and fans praising the endless well of creativity that may be extracted from death and black metal, when many of these bands are actually quite retrospective with regards to early progressive thrash metal.

Good to know this. I'll be staying away from that album.

For some reason i thought they were a deathcore band so i never bothered checking them out, but i was curious since their new album seemed to getting good reviews.

Im listening to Rings of Saturn - Embryonic Anomaly right now.

I definately think its worth listenning to although there are plenty of breakdowns ala previous Beneath the Massacre albums...

I can understand how poeple can be dizzied by the barrage of notes, but for me its a worthy listen.

Dizzied? It sounds fairly retarded and not like death metal at all for the most part. It's the pinnacle of technical wank stuck to deathcore with a heavy dose of scene kids that think they're death metal messiahs.

Dizzied? It sounds fairly retarded and not like death metal at all for the most part. It's the pinnacle of technical wank stuck to deathcore with a heavy dose of scene kids that think they're death metal messiahs.

go listen to your Doom. Ill take this anyday over that crap.