Controversial opinions on metal

Just like any metalhead Metallica was one of the first bands I listened to, i'm the kind of guy that stops listening to certain bands after a while, and keep finding more. I probably listened to every Metallica song up to the black album 1000 times, I just don't like them anymore.

I'm more into what I like to call "the 2 extremes" in metal, the most heavy brutal death/slam metal and these days, the most beautiful black metal.

I rarely listen to Metallica these days (mainly because i played those albums non-stop for years) but i still love those albums.

Sonata Arctica sold out with Stones Grow Her Name (yes, I should change my avatar).

Floor Jansen is better than Tarja and Anette.

I actually enjoy CoB's newer albums, albeit not as much as Hatebreeder and Follow the Reaper.

Blind Guardian's interludes between every song really piss me off.

Daniel Heiman is the greatest singer alive and Lost Horizon was the greatest power metal band ever.

Sonata Arctica sold out with Stones Grow Her Name (yes, I should change my avatar).

What? How? That album was more or less just a mix of The Days of Greys with their older style thrown in. It was awesome. I don't know what's so "sell out" about it.

Also, the term "sold out" is bullshit. It's mostly just used by people who don't like the direction a band is going.

This isn't selling out? The same band that wrote White Pearl, Black Oceans, Gravenimage, and Caleb?

Last edited by a moderator:
Megadeth is one of the best thrash bands so far, but partially only due to their longevity. Side by side on individual songs, a lot of other thrash bands have better material (with the exception of a handful of gems).

Death Magnetic was a pretty good album.

So was Endgame.

This isn't selling out? The same band that wrote White Pearl, Black Oceans, Gravenimage, and Caleb?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5uepWrCgdU

No. It isn't. And don't single out one song, listen to the whole album. The album is well crafted, well written, and in line with any of the songs you mentioned above. Why is this sudden selling out? It's catchy and fun. And what is Sonata Arctica known for? Writing songs that are catchy and fun. I don't see the problem here.

Unia was already a pop album, so who cares?

Totally wrong. To that point in time, Unia was by far their most progressive album, especially in its use of unconventional song structures. You clearly haven't listened to the album if you think it was a pop album. Did all you hear was the single "Paid in Full"? That single was a horrible representation of that album.

Here is a better example:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, 'pop' was probably the wrong word, but it was a drastic shift away from power metal into symphonic Disney rock, no matter the budget they had to hire an orchestral arranger and choir. I'll admit that I've listened to the album no more than once and that I don't really care about the band at all, but I know there are songs other than the single of similar quality...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzQskbM-ArU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DskA14mVvrM

I don't listen to as much thrash as I did at one point. Some stuff I still occationally listen too.

Sadus-a vision of misery.
Old Metallica.
Destruction-eternal devastation.
Old Slayer.
Sodom-Agent Orange
Testament.

I feel like this stuff is pretty essential. Besides the great riffs and songs these bands have, the have some killer lead players. Frank Blackfire from Sodom deserves more appreciation, love his solo's on Agent Orange. And on Kreator, they're not bad, but a lot of their stuff just sounds like rehashed Slayer riffs to me. And they do not have the songwriting skills that Slayer had at one point.

Favorite solos on Agent Orange? I've seen a lot of people cite them as a major highlight of the album but they've always sounded as generic to me as everything else on that album. And if you're including Pleasure to Kill in the category of "rehashed Slayer riffs", the Sodom album suffers far worse from over-inspiration. Honestly one of the worst thrash albums I know of.

EDIT: I think I've repeated this controversial opinion before in this thread, but the top-tier thrash bands (Megadeth and Wilkens-era Destruction aside) often fell short of the best of the lower-tier bands (see: Forbidden, Coroner, Annihilator, Realm) lead-wise. Of course, thrash can often get by with mediocrity in that department provided the riffs or intensity are there.