Controversial opinions on metal

Can anyone explain why the internet seems to hate The Sword? They're not the best thing ever or anything but all their albums have been pretty solid and not particularly commercial or poseur-y, so I'm a bit baffled.

Can anyone explain why the internet seems to hate The Sword? They're not the best thing ever or anything but all their albums have been pretty solid and not particularly commercial or poseur-y, so I'm a bit baffled.

I don't get it either. They are really fun to listen to! Warpriders is pretty groovy.

Alright, so this is cool, because I can offer 100% insight on all the give-a-fuckable bands that have been mentioned on the last couple pages.

The Sword was a really catchy band that I liked listening to for a while, particularly the album Age of Winters, but their discography is far from perfect and they were nothing special live. I waited through 2 mediocre bands to see them play and they did not deliver, regardless of how hot the singer's doom queen girlfriend is.

Opeth's album Heritage is actually an amazing experience live, the light show is spectacular, the performance (particularly on the part of Joakim Svalberg) was breathtaking, they still do a great job on their material from Deliverance, Watershed, and My Arms, Your Hearse, and Mikael is a god damn personality on stage. I was blown away. I've seen the Heritage Tour twice, and it really enhanced the album for me when listening privately.

As far as the people who say "Meh, this album was totally predictable if you'd been listening to them for 20 years like we've had the pleasure of doing," you can really just shove it. Seriously, a musician does not have the obligation to surprise you, sometimes a work comes naturally and sometimes it can be forecasted. If my band wrote a funk album and someone at our show said that they saw it coming from a mile away and that made it a poor experience, they'd be leaving the venue with a broken jaw. You don't have the right to say that shit unless you've written 10 albums in a single band and still have complete interest in your band's future. That's something Opeth can claim.

Agalloch was not nearly as good live as I was hoping for them to be, but they played a solid set and layed on a thick atmosphere. It was quite enjoyable.

Alcest was actually also really good live and does a great job of presenting a mix of their best material from all of their albums. They pull off every single one of those falsetto harmonies, and I can't think of many bands that play that loud and pull that shit off, and I've seen many try.

Opeth's album Heritage is actually an amazing experience live, the light show is spectacular, the performance (particularly on the part of Joakim Svalberg) was breathtaking, they still do a great job on their material from Deliverance, Watershed, and My Arms, Your Hearse, and Mikael is a god damn personality on stage. I was blown away. I've seen the Heritage Tour twice, and it really enhanced the album for me when listening privately.

As far as the people who say "Meh, this album was totally predictable if you'd been listening to them for 20 years like we've had the pleasure of doing," you can really just shove it. Seriously, a musician does not have the obligation to surprise you, sometimes a work comes naturally and sometimes it can be forecasted. If my band wrote a funk album and someone at our show said that they saw it coming from a mile away and that made it a poor experience, they'd be leaving the venue with a broken jaw. You don't have the right to say that shit unless you've written 10 albums in a single band and still have complete interest in your band's future. That's something Opeth can claim.

Goddamn right man. Also Akerfeldt is one of the funniest people I have ever seen on stage. His banter with the crowd is absolutely priceless. I can't wait to see Opeth this May. They're coming to Michigan WITH Katatonia. Going to be an amazing show.

Maybe on their earlier records, but Warp Riders is a really well put together album that just brings the riffs en masse.

I thought Gods of the Earth was pretty good in it's more doomy aspects. Warp Riders is a perfect blend of everything they do best though.

Apocryphon on the other hand just seems like a less riffy/original retread of Warp Riders. It's listenable but not that good.

The Sword is just average imo. People hate them because they're pretty derivative and nothing special despite their relative popularity, which is basically the truth. That said, anyone that shits on them for those reasons and praises Witchfinder General and such is probably a metal hipster and should die.

I know most of you gonna hate me for saying this, but I CAN'T STAND Slayer. I hate them because for me they aren't honest, and I think Tom Araya is a complete liar. Their music is supossed to be some kind of satanic, and Tom Araya has declared himself a Christian, so this is a lie. He has declared that their music is only a show and a theatre, and I hate people who don't belive in what they do.
I'm sorry, but this is my opinion.

His actual standpoint is that he believes in the music even if he doesn't endorse all of King's lyrics, afaik.

I know most of you gonna hate me for saying this, but I CAN'T STAND Slayer. I hate them because for me they aren't honest, and I think Tom Araya is a complete liar. Their music is supossed to be some kind of satanic, and Tom Araya has declared himself a Christian, so this is a lie. He has declared that their music is only a show and a theatre, and I hate people who don't belive in what they do.

Jeff and Kerry write a lot of the lyrics and all the satanic stuff. Tom Araya never wrote any lyrics that had anything to do with religion, his religious beliefs and views don't have to be the same as other band members. I don't really see how it has anything to do with anything.

You're stupid. However, the only Slayer album that's worth giving a shit about is Show No Mercy.

Also, Mastodon are HORRIBLE and have always been real lackluster.

The Sword are average stoner doom. My favorite release of theirs is Gods of the Earth. Their newest was fucking terrible.

I really dont want to give fire to yet another Slayer debate, but Show No Mercy is defintely NOT the only album of theirs to give a shit about.

Mastodon do get a lot of hype, no doubt, but with the exception of Head Hunter, they have a fucking stellar discography. Their best imo is their EP Lifesblood. God damn.

Reign in Blood has its decent moments but not nearly enough for me to be like, "OMFGZ SLAYERRRRRRR!". Show No Mercy is totally full of piss and vinegar...and Satan.