Controversial opinions on metal

Suffocation are intricate,complex,technical, brutal, and sometimes progressive, have solo's. Their riffs and songs all sound different, they have traditional style music and vocals within Death Metal. And have more incommen with early 90's Death Metal,Grindcore,And thrash than the bands that they have influenced, which sound nothing like them all at all. If you think Brutal Death Metal bands like Devourment,Disgorge,etc.. sound like Suffocation or are similar you must be a complete fucking idiot.

I keep checking out those bands (alot of the covers are just fucking badass)
And they keep sucking dick
Hell, I like Pathology and that's about it so far.
The shitty vocals dont help either

Suffocation are intricate,complex,technical, brutal, and sometimes progressive, have solo's. Their riffs and songs all sound different, they have traditional style music and vocals within Death Metal. And have more incommen with early 90's Death Metal,Grindcore,And thrash than the bands that they have influenced, which sound nothing like them all at all. If you think Brutal Death Metal bands like Devourment,Disgorge,etc.. sound like Suffocation or are similar you must be a complete fucking idiot.

All bands sound different bro, obviously but the overall sound is the same, both Devourment and Suffocation especially now have easy vocals to understand compared to the rest of the genre, technical guitars, slams, some progression etc.

If you guys don't like BDM the new Devourment is definitely a place to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep checking out those bands (alot of the covers are just fucking badass)
And they keep sucking dick
Hell, I like Pathology and that's about it so far.
The shitty vocals dont help either

Maybe try defeated sanity? They're one of the few bands on the same level as Pathology, imo.

I think brutal death metal is best listened to intoxicated. That way you'll care less about the bad vocals and instrumentation and just slam around.

When it comes to slam, I stick with Wormed, Devourment, Defeated Sanity, and Deeds of Flesh pretty much exclusively. Maybe I'd listen to Dripping for it's super weirdness and awesome hip-hop breaks, but that's about it.

Manilla Road is possibly the most overrated band on UM. Absolutely fucking garbage. The vocalist should have killed himself for getting within 10 miles of a microphone. It sounds like what a band made by the South Park kids would come up with.

I wouldn't go nearly that far, and I don't mind the vocals so much, but their song-writing is pretty fucking boring on a whole. Extremely repetitive and mind-numbing stuff, with a few rare gems that make me wonder how they/he can be so inconsistent. I'm tempted to just download everything they did up to The Courts of Chaos, throw away all the shit, and make a quality album out of it, cuz it could probably be done.

EDIT: Well, "most overrated band on UM" I could probably agree with.

I can see where you are coming from about the "whine". Shelton's vocals are a acquired taste...But boring music?

I think not:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWvQVln9fAU

Necropolis is enjoyable because it's probably most people's introduction to the band, is barely three minutes long, and is up-tempo and energetic. The title track or The Veils of Negative Existence, on the other hand, are some of the most monotonous and effortless traditional metal I've heard.

off the top of my head:

old school sludge should not at all be dismissed along with stoner doom. Eyehategod and Iron Monkey are way different from Electric Wizard or Bongzilla, in style and quality. the only thing that makes the two genres remotely comparable is that they both love Sabbath.

Incantation aren't that great.

Possessed's best release was the Death Metal demo.

War Master is one of Bolt Thrower's weaker albums.

old school sludge should not at all be dismissed along with stoner doom. Eyehategod and Iron Monkey are way different from Electric Wizard or Bongzilla, in style and quality. the only thing that makes the two genres remotely comparable is that they both love Sabbath.

I don't think that anyone does this.

I wouldn't go nearly that far, and I don't mind the vocals so much, but their song-writing is pretty fucking boring on a whole. Extremely repetitive and mind-numbing stuff, with a few rare gems that make me wonder how they/he can be so inconsistent. I'm tempted to just download everything they did up to The Courts of Chaos, throw away all the shit, and make a quality album out of it, cuz it could probably be done.

EDIT: Well, "most overrated band on UM" I could probably agree with.

Necropolis is enjoyable because it's probably most people's introduction to the band, is barely three minutes long, and is up-tempo and energetic. The title track or The Veils of Negative Existence, on the other hand, are some of the most monotonous and effortless traditional metal I've heard.

Yeah, no.

All bands sound different bro, obviously but the overall sound is the same, both Devourment and Suffocation especially now have easy vocals to understand compared to the rest of the genre, technical guitars, slams, some progression etc.

If you guys don't like BDM the new Devourment is definitely a place to start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amG-jBH6mb4
Not a fan of Devourment at all
Dont think I can get into Defeated Sanity either

If you don't think Suffocation is the ancestor of the modern "brutal death metal" subgenre then you're a fucking idiot. They don't sound exactly the same, but they're absolutely the same sound. You're over-romanticizing Suffocation while at the same time completely downplaying the quality of later bands.

It also means you weren't around during the early/mid 1990s when magazines just HATED the ten million "Suffo-clones".

It also means you have no goddamn ears because Disgorge and Devourment are different styles themselves. Disgorge is ultra technical BDM, and Devourment is the band that basically invented slam.

When it comes to slam, I stick with Wormed, Devourment, Defeated Sanity, and Deeds of Flesh pretty much exclusively. Maybe I'd listen to Dripping for it's super weirdness and awesome hip-hop breaks, but that's about it.

Not to be "that guy" but Wormed and DoF aren't slam. It sounds to me like you like brutal death, particularly the speedier and more technical bands. I'd suggest checking out Gorgasm, their album "Masticate to Dominate" would probably be right up your alley.

I would say Abominable Putridty, Pathology, Devourment, etc, are all riff based bands, more about being catchy or groovy, whatever the fuck you want to call it, compared to bands like Defeated Sanity, Wormed, Gorgasm, Septycal Gorge, Hour of Penance, Euphoric Defilement, Embryonic Depravity etc that are more technical and some more brutal

Not to be "that guy" but Wormed and DoF aren't slam. It sounds to me like you like brutal death, particularly the speedier and more technical bands. I'd suggest checking out Gorgasm, their album "Masticate to Dominate" would probably be right up your alley.

Easily their best album, and definitely one of the genres best too :kickass:

I would say Abominable Putridty, Pathology, Devourment, etc, are all riff based bands, more about being catchy or groovy, whatever the fuck you want to call it, compared to bands like Defeated Sanity, Wormed, Gorgasm, Septycal Gorge, Hour of Penance, Euphoric Defilement, Embryonic Depravity etc that are more technical and some more brutal

When people ask me "what the fuck is slam?" I play Abominable Putridity's "In the End of Human Existence". I wouldn't call it the best of the genre, but it's the very definition of the sound, IMO.