Controversial opinions on metal

Not to be "that guy" but Wormed and DoF aren't slam. It sounds to me like you like brutal death, particularly the speedier and more technical bands. I'd suggest checking out Gorgasm, their album "Masticate to Dominate" would probably be right up your alley.

You're right. Wormed and Defeated Sanity are brutal death. A lot of people have difficulty hearing differences in slam and brutal death. Like you said, play Abominable Putridity's first album and then Defeated Sanity's latest album for someone questioning the differences. It's clear as day to me.

Slam

Brutal Death

Slam

Brutal Death

Notice how slam is "chunkier" and build around stomping riffs, but BDM is more frenetic and built on sledgehammering you with the riffs.

Also, I really hate how I couldn't get good quality clips easily. :/ Listen to that shit in HQ and it's soooooo much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people say slam is too simplistic and knuckle dragging, others say BDM is pointless and riffless. I like it all, so I don't agree with either, but I can see where they're coming from.

Some people say slam is too simplistic and knuckle dragging, others say BDM is pointless and riffless. I like it all, so I don't agree with either, but I can see where they're coming from.

IMO the first Putridity album is pretty awful, especially compared to most of the shit out there.

BTW quality settings on YT only really effect you when your listening through a non HD audio source, like ear buds or shitty headphones, maybe i'm just deaf but through my headphones I always play around with the setting and nothing happens.

Not very often will you see me agree with Mort, but hes right about tech death. Very rarely can I stomach listening to tech death albums more than once or twice.

Very rarely can I stomach listening to tech death albums more than once or twice.

You must be listening to the wrong albums.

With good tech-death, you pick up something new from the album almost everytime you spin it. Most of the tech-death albums i regularly listen to are nowhere near one and done listens and almost require you to listen more than a couple times to fully take in everything and appreciate.

Sorry, but almost without exception all modern tech. death bands are shit.

If by shit you mean boring, I would agree that most are. But it's not something I couldn't dree listening to at all. No, I reserve my true ire for saccharine crap, which very few metal bands are.