Controversial opinions on metal

How so? Do you mean in the way he comes across/talks? Because just about everything he says is either a joke or very tongue in cheek.

He kind of has a "holier than thou" attitude towards certain things. I'm still a fan of him and his music, and I'm not trying to bash him, I'm just saying he can act a bit pretentious sometimes.

Recently I somehow found myself watching three hours of Nardwuar interviews, and he was easily among the least pretentious/most laid back of the ones I saw.

He kind of has a "holier than thou" attitude towards certain things. I'm still a fan of him and his music, and I'm not trying to bash him, I'm just saying he can act a bit pretentious sometimes.

I think now he's actually less pretentious than he use to be, he gives other musicians breathing room. Not that he has not in the past, but he does so now.

I think now he's actually less pretentious than he use to be, he gives other musicians breathing room. Not that he has not in the past, but he does so now.

I think that's true. He has even admitted to being rather pretentious back in the early years. Morningrise era or so. But I don't see said pretentiousness in him anymore. He comes off as rather laid back and hilarious to me.

Mikael is more of a pretentious douchebag than ever these days and those who think otherwise should remove their lips from his cock. God I can't believe I succumbed to Opeth fanboyism back in the day.

He was a total cock in the old Opeth forum. Half his posts seemed to be him getting snide with people. Then replying with "You can't say anything about me online because you don't know me in real life" kinda shit. It's no wonder his music is so bad.

He was a total cock in the old Opeth forum. Half his posts seemed to be him getting snide with people. Then replying with "You can't say anything about me online because you don't know me in real life" kinda shit. It's no wonder his music is so bad.

I'm willing to be there are two sides to this story. I've been to the old Opeth forum and a lot of the people who posted in there were huge, sawed-off cocksuckers. Besides, why the hell would anyone post shit about Opeth/Mikeal in the fucking Opeth forum? That doesn't even make any sense.

They are fucking tight. Last time I saw them they supported Cannibal Corpse and wiped the floor with them.

Yeah Psycroptic kick ass. I saw them in 2010 when they opened for Nile. They barely moved at all on stage, but just watching them play as fast and as precisely as they did was pretty cool.

I'd say that Opeth tends to wander in and out of gay territory. Clean vocals, moody melodies, unconventional song structures, and madrigals on acoustic guitar aren't the most heterosexual song characteristics one can have in metal. Also, flutes tend to symbolize the feminine voice and thus conflict with the hyper-masculinity that fans have come to expect from extreme metal bands, and Opeth has started using those both acoustically and through mellotron reels.

That doesn't diminish the quality of the music though.

Something you have to understand about Opeth is that they are a gateway band. Yeah, we knew that.

Anyway, something you have to understand about gateway bands is that, given how they're typically such earth-shattering experiences for the listener in question, the listener has probably played the fuck out of every song 100+ times (like I did). Thus, until a discerning ear is developed, the listener will have an overwhelming nostalgia so powerful that it could cause 98% of the forum posters here to disregard even the worst of songwriting.

And there's your explanation for why the posters above don't agree with you regarding Opeth's general ineptitude. Hell, the nostalgia is even so strong that I can still listen to Opeth from time to time even AFTER realizing "these songs are pretty poorly written".