Controversial opinions on metal

Mikael Akerfeldt's growling these days is laughable at best. So yeah, I gotta disagree with you on that one.

But even if the growling was still technically solid, it's difficult to imagine a man in his mid 30 (or even mid 20s) making it work. at this stage of his life, with Opeth's success and mikael being (presumably) a happy family man, how likely is it that he's truly feel the emotion that fueled his 90s growls? had he continued the growls today, it would be a prime example of selling-out/posing.

I've only heard Act III, but it's pretty fucking bad. Weak-ass vocals, dull riffing, sterile production, lame songwriting.

Act III works if you accept that it's a young band hoping to live up to the expectations that a major label had for them. By alterni-thrash standards it's still nothing special (what Wrathchild America and Anthrax were doing around the same time was generally more interesting), but at least it has a few hooks and semi-decent ideas. The Ultra-Violence is just crap.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it isn't much of a thrash album and is worse if you try to listen to it as one.

i never liked LEGION much but i like deicide's debut a reasonable amount. i mean, it wants to be slayer and it sounds like the product of an idiot child when compared with slayer, but trying to sound like slayer is a start at least.

obituary were awesome though. perhaps the best of celtic frost's grandchildren. vocals sound fine to me.

Belus is pretty solid, and Fallen wasnt bad either. Havent listened to anything released after those.

Never really cared for Deicide either. And since were talking about crappy vocals, Glen Benton is a fucking horrible vocalist. He is the main reason i never really bother listening to any of their shit.

John Tardy, on the other hand, is a fucking wicked vocalist.

I used to shit on Deicide, but I have to admit that Legion recently clicked on me pretty big in terms of the twisted riffing goodness. Otherwise, not interested in them.

Death Angel is one of the most overrated thrash bands. I wonder if some people who say they like them are just confusing them with Dark Angel.

Their newest release might be their best but still not even on the same scale as newer thrash bands than them..

I even prefer Legion to the first one. It's a super fun record. REVOCATE THE AGITATOR! I honestly don't care about what they release nowadays. Who fucking does.

Once Upon the Cross is my favorite Deicide album. Can't wait to see the band next month.

That's my favorite, too. Their first is twisted and evil as shit vocally, the second is fun, but OUTC is an album I can listen to all the way through and then wish it had more.

Serpents of the Light and Scars are the only other decent albums thrive done, though

First three Deicide albums are good, Legion being the best. I will admit Glen isn't the best vocalist but he does a decent job.

But even if the growling was still technically solid, it's difficult to imagine a man in his mid 30 (or even mid 20s) making it work. at this stage of his life, with Opeth's success and mikael being (presumably) a happy family man, how likely is it that he's truly feel the emotion that fueled his 90s growls? had he continued the growls today, it would be a prime example of selling-out/posing.

Well I'm sure there's tons of factors as to why his growling sucks nowadays, point is, they do suck. I really don't blame him for not liking metal anymore, I haven't been listening to metal at all lately.

The Hoffman brothers are the only reason i ever go back to their first few works. I also agree that Benton did a much better job on Dechristianize.

I think the The Stench of Redemption might just be their best though.

What exactly do you like about that album? It bores the shit out of me and the solos/lead parts sound completely out of place.