Controversial opinions on metal

The faster and more aggressive the music, the shorter the album should be. Most death metal albums should clock in at about 30 minutes.

Very very few bands, of any style of music, have the ability to write an album that's an hour long and doesn't lose my interest before the end.

I agree 100% with this. Atmospheric, doomy, black metal stuff can be great when done right at long lengths, but I couldn't listen to an hour and a half long Severe Torture album, ya know?

14.jpg

I was ~9 years old when I chose the name for my Battle.net account. I emphasized with him in that episode, and I was an adolescent male with an affinity for ground beef between my buns.

EDIT: A German woman on LastFM once PMed me, apparently assuming that I lived in Hamburg, commenting on our Super compatibility. It was in German and I wasn't sure if I should reply in English assuming she might understand me, or if I should have used Google translate to clarify things. After stressing out over it for a week I ended up doing nothing. Yet another missed opportunity. I just want to watch Nickelodeon cartoons for the rest of my life.

Interesting claim, but I didnt peg you to like either album...:err:

I like the general sound, really good riff work and the melodies are very heavily featured, but tastefully so (unlike what happened on Heartwork :puke:)

I just think Carcass had a bit of a problem on Necroticism with the songs running a bit too long

AiD is about the same length as Necroticism, but has 3 more songs so they're a lot more concise and to the point which works in their favor for me with that sound

I like the general sound, really good riff work and the melodies are very heavily featured, but tastefully so (unlike what happened on Heartwork :puke:)

I just think Carcass had a bit of a problem on Necroticism with the songs running a bit too long

AiD is about the same length as Necroticism, but has 3 more songs so they're a lot more concise and to the point which works in their favor for me with that sound

Necroticism has a slower pace, so of course the songs are going to be longer. AiD is certainly a modern version of Necroticism, and from a technical standpoint may be a bit more technical and cohesive, but the quality of the riffs arent quite the same. The Exhumed record is significantly more in your face, but the slightly laid back gore-grind on Necroticism gives the aggressive parts more impact and makes me appreciate the dynamic tempos more. The riffs are jammed a bit long at times, but most of the time the build up is adequate for making you pumped for the moment the riff rapidly changes. The feel of the Necroticism record alone ranks it above AiD imo.

Just heard a song from the new Mastodon album. Did they rip off Edge of Sanity lol?

That Mastodon intro and the part at 4:25 of Twilight.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ Very similar, I've also thought the laughing in the Mastodon song sounds very much like that from a well known Pink Floyd song (can't remember if it's from Dark Side or The Wall).

Another one I've found recently - the starting riff of "Eventual" by Intronaut is pretty much the same as Children of the Grave by Sabbath:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026SB6SY/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk5[/ame]
Rock And Roll Angel
Heaven & Hell
From the Album The Devil You Know
April 1, 2013 | Format: MP3
Be the first to review this item
$0.99

I have the CD and #5 is this track, which is even heavier than Children if the Grave, but with some common notes and riffs.
For some reason, it is really great to me now. It is the real deal metal to me. Vocals you can hear and are not growling or other garbage, along with epic riffs by the best there is, Tony Iommi. Of course right up there is the three Amigos of Iron Maiden and their female counterparts in the Iron Maidens. Behind them are thousands of great men and women, and kids who can really get heavy.

I didn't claim they were 'so special'. I just said that the last album they made is quite good. In particular I like riffs and the contrasting vocals. They also incorporate some groove and hooks that I find appealing. It's also short and to the point. Obviously nothing groundbreaking, but a solid record for sure.

Exhumed made me think of Exhumation. Everyone should check out Exhumation, if you haven't already. They released a succession of quality death metal records in the late 90's, and then Marios started Nightrage. Again nothing original, but fun to listen to. Song below features some cleans by Dan Swano.