Controversial opinions on metal

Are you trying to get banned? Because cussing at the mods when they tell you you're breaking the rules is probably the best way to do it.

Just do what I do: chill the fuck out and harass him on facebook.

Crystal Logic gets a lot of love around here, but let's not forget Open the Gates as well.

Open the Gates actually has a few great songs, even though it starts pretty weak. Crystal Logic has a couple little hooky novelties but on a whole that album is so poor.

EDIT: And Among the Living is so bland. Spreading the Disease is a very fun album, but by the point of 87-88 they stripped most of the USPM influence out, replaced any rocking mid-paced elements with boring thrash chugging, and fuck Benante, outside of speed the dude has nothing going for him. I don't know why everyone treats him like a thrash drumming god; outside of the guy that plays on So Far So Good So What, I'd probably take any drummer from the other big 3 acts over him, not to mention countless ones from lesser known bands.

Repetition/uninteresting songwriting. The first couple minutes of the title track is one of the easiest examples for a vocal melody that sounds completely uninspired to me, and it has nothing to do with his range or tone. Many of the songs just start with the main verse riff, repeating it two or four times, then introducing the drum line and repeating two or four more times, then introducing the verse with no change in rhythm guitar until the chorus. Once the chorus comes in, the guitars are usually reduced to nothing but a bare chord progression. I'm not demanding Slauter Xstroyes-tier prog-USPM, but the songs wear out so quickly. Randy Foxe really helped fill out the band rhythm-wise as well on Open the Gates.

FOAD is one of Datkrhones best albums.

"You have nothing in common with me
You think old-school is 1993
Ha! I've been a thrasher since '84
and almost nothing sounds true anymore

I've made my own code
sold my soul to Manilla Road
Modern metal I don't give a fuck
UH! I was raised on rock"
:kickass::kickass:
Agreed. Darkthone is still awesome.

EDIT: And Among the Living is so bland. Spreading the Disease is a very fun album, but by the point of 87-88 they stripped most of the USPM influence out, replaced any rocking mid-paced elements with boring thrash chugging, and fuck Benante, outside of speed the dude has nothing going for him. I don't know why everyone treats him like a thrash drumming god; outside of the guy that plays on So Far So Good So What, I'd probably take any drummer from the other big 3 acts over him, not to mention countless ones from lesser known bands.
Well yeah, he's not god, but I heard opinons that he's worst metal drummer ever, which is ridiculous. He also seems to improve with time, Bush era albums were mostly shit and he was the only one standing out (maybe because everything else was so bad). I remeber only his drumming from WCFYA, not sure if you heard it, maybe I should listen to it again too.

All people mention is AtL and StD from Anthrax. What about Fistful of Metal and Persistence of Time? Also good albums. They're a band you shouldn't take too seriously to enjoy, like someone else said. Almost a fun crossover thrash band like Municipal Waste or something really.

While not all of it is good, Megadeth is the only one of the big 4 still releasing full quality thrash metal in the past decade (ignore super collider).

Honestly, Fistful of Metal is tolerable but really nothing special. It has an appealing sort of youthful energy but not much else.

Fistful of Metal is the best thing they've done, Spreading the Disease has a few okay tracks too. But yea, the rest of their work is pretty much garbage and even quite laughable at times. Regardless of popularity, they never deserved being mentioned with the other three legends of the big four. Three top-notch, elite bands, and a fucking joke band like anthrax? Always blew my mind. It's like putting a bottle of old smuggler on the shelf right next to the proper single malt's.

Oh and Benante is fucking horrible, definitely one of the wort thrash metal drummers(at least from the more well known bands).

Well yeah, he's not god, but I heard opinons that he's worst metal drummer ever, which is ridiculous. He also seems to improve with time, Bush era albums were mostly shit and he was the only one standing out (maybe because everything else was so bad). I remeber only his drumming from WCFYA, not sure if you heard it, maybe I should listen to it again too.

I'd call him competent, but I see much more praise gone his way than criticism. I definitely prefer his stuff more in the 90s as well; for more rocking material I guess he can more comfortably try varied patterns compared to the pure thrash stuff. I've listened to WCFYA maybe twice tops, and that would have been several years ago, so I'll give it a listen some time. Overall I prefer Bush-era Anthrax to 87-88 Anthrax.

All people mention is AtL and StD from Anthrax. What about Fistful of Metal and Persistence of Time? Also good albums. They're a band you shouldn't take too seriously to enjoy, like someone else said. Almost a fun crossover thrash band like Municipal Waste or something really.

While not all of it is good, Megadeth is the only one of the big 4 still releasing full quality thrash metal in the past decade (ignore super collider).

Persistence of Time is a good album too, their most complicated and Belly of the Beast is one of just a few Anthrax songs that I really love. I'll +1 WAIF on Fistful.

At the end of the day, I think it's all about what you expect from Anthrax.
If you expect quality thrash with memorable riffs and solos (they haven't written good solo so far, at least I don't remember any), look elsewhere. If you want fun, not very serious listen, heavy/thrash blended with punk-ish, crossover feeling you probably won't be disappointed.

Newbie here...
Voivod is one of my all-time faves, so wondering what the consensus is with them? I just bought tix to see them in February w/ Napalm Death.

N00bie here...
Voivod is one of my all-time faves, so wondering what the census is with them? I just bought tix to see them in February w/ Napalm Death.

Everyone loves Voivod. Even though I bought Target Earth several months ago I still haven't opened it, which I should.

Lol, what a fucking nitwit. :lol: Do you not understand English, or is it that you simply cannot comprehend what you read?

Regardless of the big four, they never deserved to be mentioned alongside the other three of the big four.

Regardless of your face, your nose never deserved to be on your face.

Regardless of your herp derp, your herp never deserved to be mentioned alongside your derp.

Saying that they never deserved to be mentioned alongside the other three bands in the big four regardless of popularity is like saying that apples don't deserve to be mentioned alongside oranges and bananas regardless of the fact that they're fruit simply because you don't like them. They're all fruit and because of that they deserve to be mentioned among each other. Apples are fruit and Anthrax are part of the big four. Deal with it.

To be fair I think his point is that Anthrax never deserved the popularity/reputation that put them with the other three of the big four.