Controversial opinions on metal

Whats yuck about it? the instruments are played far better and Schuldiners highs crush halfords with ease. Unlike other covers it doesn't sound exactly the same as the original, you can still tell its by Death and thats a sign of a great cover.

Im going back to this comment. First off, the only thing different about that cover is someone is trying to shriek vocals supposed to be sung.

Also:

3 minute mark, halford devastates any other attempt at high vocals in heavy metal, most before they ever exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im going back to this comment. First off, the only thing different about that cover is someone is trying to shriek vocals supposed to be sung.

Also:

3 minute mark, halford devastates any other attempt at high vocals in heavy metal, most before they ever exist.

That ends the discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. Death talk over, guys.

Controversial opinion: The only thing Emperor ever put out that was not wanky as shit was In the Nightside Eclipse.

Indeed. Death talk over, guys.

Controversial opinion: The only thing Emperor ever put out that was not wanky as shit was In the Nightside Eclipse.
You know, even Nightside has a wankness to it. Consider the time, location, and scene that came out of. Everything was raw, shittily recorded, and fairly simple. In The Nightside is fucking grandiose and pristine in comparison.

I've tried multiple sources of Nightside rips, and none of them come close to what I would call pristine. At least in some of the more lo-fi acts there's little enough going on that the guitar lines still sound out, but Nightside always sounds muddy, and the boring keyboards that spend half the time just following the progressions don't help any. That's like calling The Sound of Perseverance grandiose in comparison to Nespithe. Total wolfshirt metal.

People love to hate on Chuck's vocals. I'd compare them to Mustaine's: never great, but serviceable and rarely taking the spotlight.

That's ridiculous. Chuck's vocals aren't "the best" by any measure, but they fit Death really well. Mustaine is abominable in any era, and absolutely ruins what would otherwise be good thrash.

Edit: In the Nightside is a great album, and I'm not even big on black metal.

Interesting. ToT used to be universally despised as vntrve around here.

and

Train of Thought is shit. With that one and Six Degrees, Dream Theater hit bottom.

I hadn't listened to a lot of DT until a while ago I decided to listen to their entire discography. As someone who's never been a fan of the band and therefore not having cared about or used to their original sound I felt the atmosphere and grooviness of ToT outweighed the complexity and originality of most of the other albums, but still I can understand if a lot of people would hate on it for its "vntrve"ness.

Chuck was a humble guy. He would even admit he wasn't a good vocalist and that it was physically painful for him to growl but I guess we all have to agree he was a unique growler whether it was his lack of skill in growling like modern death metal vocalists or his physical inability to do that.

I used to hate the Painkiller cover but Chuck's vocals in that song made it grow on me. I hate the original with that faggot's vocals.

And Emperor is simply shit.

Regardless of what most of the Death hating faggots here say, he was one of the best DM vocalists of all time.

edit: Oh and Chuck and Dave are two of my favorite vocalists, i'd rather listen to either of them over halford any fucking day of the week.

Emperor sucks.

This.

You know, even Nightside has a wankness to it. Consider the time, location, and scene that came out of. Everything was raw, shittily recorded, and fairly simple. In The Nightside is fucking grandiose and pristine in comparison.

Pure Holocaust begs to differ.

Immortal was a far better 2nd wave black metal band.