Controversial opinions on metal

Burzum is the best second-wave black metal band and this is undebatable. Burzum master race.

Wrath of the Tyrant was wanky as shit?

Tbh I forgot that disc even existed.

You know, even Nightside has a wankness to it. Consider the time, location, and scene that came out of. Everything was raw, shittily recorded, and fairly simple. In The Nightside is fucking grandiose and pristine in comparison.

That's true. But in a vacuum, ITNE is hardly wanky in and of itself.

I feel like Immortal's music comes off a bit silly. Maybe it's something preconceived, but it's that overly grim icy winter image, I swear I can actually hear it.

Burzum is the best second-wave black metal band and this is undebatable. Burzum master race.

Tbh I forgot that disc even existed.

That's true. But in a vacuum, ITNE is hardly wanky in and of itself.
I won't argue that. I mean more aesthetically wanky. Lol wanky is a funny word.
Everything.

Mediocre? No fucking way man. Not those two.

I love Damned in Black, and Sons of Northern Darkness gets a lot of hate but I think it fucking owns.

Their only mediocre album was All Shall Fall.
I agree. SoND is one of the 2 I listen to most. It's quite a dark, well written, catchy, aggressively well played record.
I feel like Immortal's music comes off a bit silly. Maybe it's something preconceived, but it's that overly grim icy winter image, I swear I can actually hear it.
It is silly. They've never taken it seriously. Its the music that matters to them and us. The whole winter thing and attire is purely show. And they are quite good at a show.

Yea, i pretty much agree with most of you guys on Immortal. Their imagery is silly as fuck, but they've put out some good music throughout the years. I will say that i don't think Battles in the North gets enough love and find AtHoW to be a bit overrated.

I've adored Immortals discography, in its entirety, except for Blizzard Beasts. To this day I still can't listen to that one album.

Still, that's a consistent fucking discography.

It's been a long time since I listend to All Shall Fall or Damned In Black, but barring me going back and all of a sudden having a change of heart, I'd definitely take Blizzard Beats over those two. The first three Immortal albums are definitely the best ones.

Burzum fucking owns too, but nobody beats Enslaved.

Never got the hype of Enslaved, either...I liked a few of their newer albums when they came out, but the replay value rapidly died after they were released.

And am I seriously the only one who honestly doesnt think Immortal is hokey and silly? I think their lyrical content/image is badass and perfect for their music, and I wouldnt change it out for anything.

but nobody beats Enslaved.

They are a great band with classic albums, but they are far from unbeatable.

Never got the hype of Enslaved, either...I liked a few of their newer albums when they came out, but the replay value rapidly died after they were released.

And am I seriously the only one who honestly doesnt think Immortal is hokey and silly? I think their lyrical content/image is badass and perfect for their music, and I wouldnt change it out for anything.

I think it fits great. They're like black metal pretexts laced with power metal lyrics, a still dark and cold atmosphere and a great vocalist that delivers well. Especially playing and singing. Some of the riffs are great in their last 4 albums. It's all noticeably, deliberately Immortal. And it works, because more people love them than hate him

Enslaved at their peak is pretty high up there, unfortunately they really only have two truly great albums in Vikingligr Veldi and Below the Lights. Everything else outside of Frost and early demo work is pretty meh.