Controversial opinions on metal

I've had some shitty burgers in my time. Usually gristle burgers or super cheapo ones. Also Carling is a fucking awful excuse for a beer.

Fuck cheeseburgers. Only meat.

Honestly there are a lot of shitty thrash bands in history, it's not just modern thrash. Today I listened to a sample of everything thrashmania had for download from 1992, and I liked mayyybe 2 bands out of 30+. The search is difficult but every now and then you find something worthwhile.

Which two were those? Cuz there's a lot more than two great thrash albums from 1992 by my standards, unless this list of 30 is limited to really obscure stuff or something.

I think black metal has the highest percentage of soulless boring shit.

Dunno, to me black metal is more full of melodramatic embarrassing shit than soulless boring shit. That's more the purview of generic death metal imo.

Generic death metal > tape recorder basement black metal > shitty thrash metal

Bad thrash metal is probably the right up there with shitty grind for being the worst shit ever.

Which two were those? Cuz there's a lot more than two great thrash albums from 1992 by my standards, unless this list of 30 is limited to really obscure stuff or something.

It was really obscure stuff, I was only listening to stuff from 1992 that I hadn't heard before. There is a lot of other stuff I like from 1992 aside from those 2 bands. I was just making the point really in reply to what TB said in another thread about modern thrash being mostly crap with a few good bands. It was the same way in 1992 in my opinion.

Actually it was more like 91.

Not a chance. 1992 releases:

Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
Antidote - The Truth
Deathrow - Life Beyond
Fallen Angel - Faith Fails
Stygian - Planetary Destruction
Vulture - Easier to Lie
Mekong Delta - Kaleidoscope
Risk - The Reborn
Solstice - Solstice
Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
Typhoon - Take Good Care
Aspid - Extravasation
Entropy - Ashen Existence
Despair - Beyond All Reason
Sadus - A Vision of Misery
Defiance - Beyond Recognition
Depressive Age - The First Depression
Sodom - Tapping the Vein
Chemical Breath - Fatal Exposure
Cerebral Fix - Death Erotica

...some of the best thrash albums in existence, especially Antidote, Aspid, Solstice, Demolition Hammer. Also Stygian, Chemical Breath, Typhoon, Vulture, Defiance, Deathrow...that is some kick ass music. There's no way all of that happened during some sort of 'crash'.

Fuck cheeseburgers. Only meat.

Dunno, to me black metal is more full of melodramatic embarrassing shit than soulless boring shit. That's more the purview of generic death metal imo.

i can name quite a few great albums from 92
93 was decent as well.
94 was when it really bottomed out

generic death>>>>>generic thrash(a lot depends on the vocalist)>>>>>>>>>>>>>most bm in existence

It was really obscure stuff, I was only listening to stuff from 1992 that I hadn't heard before. There is a lot of other stuff I like from 1992 aside from those 2 bands. I was just making the point really in reply to what TB said in another thread about modern thrash being mostly crap with a few good bands. It was the same way in 1992 in my opinion.

link me.
i'm interested in comparing the two scenes.

I agree about shit thrash being shit. It's just so boring. I think the only people who like it are guitarists who don't really listen to music with proper ears.

I was just making the point really in reply to what TB said in another thread about modern thrash being mostly crap with a few good bands. It was the same way in 1992 in my opinion.

Yes, but like i said my point was that there are fewer thrash bands today ... and most of them are not good.

you're not saying there are more thrash bands today right? The problem is there are far less bands today but 90% of them are pumping out generic watered down garbage.

Basically ... 80/early 90's thrash > todays thrash.

shit thrash > shit death metal > shit black metal

edit: but i'm actually with Buttface on this on, shit music is just shit. No point of measuring which ones worse.

Again I think it's just exposure. Every shitty modern band has their own bandcamp and youtube videos. Early 90's bands that sucked just simply didn't get record deals and it's pretty difficult to find their music now.

The thing a lot of people neglect is that OSDM died at almost the same time as thrash. You had a lot of bands signed to Roadrunner/Nuclear Blast/etc being dropped and just dying (Atheist, Pestilence, Cynic, Nocturnus, etc), changing their sound (whether death 'n roll/melodeath seen more in Europe, brutal DM seen in New York, or whatever), and those remaining generally just released a couple more less-notable albums. The classic death metal bands were still strongly linked to thrash, not just in sound but in audience and support. I'd say that metal in general died around 1993/1994 and made way for a new wave of shitty prefixed xxxtreeem metal bands, plus a lot of worthless gothic crap.

Don't think I've ever listened to them on account of their logo looking like it belongs to a late 90s consumer electronics item. What is your favorite album from them?

Thrash's biggest problem is that once you have heard the "need to know" bands from the mid and late 80s you have heard it all. After that it's just repeating the same old to the boredom only with a different kindergarten-drawn logo on top of the album cover.

That was alright but I'll still take my heavy/power (assuming you mean USPM and similar) over it. The melothrash riffing works against it and that harmony section four minutes in was pretty cheesy, but I liked the rest of it.

EDIT: IRT NouemeGnon.

tero's post above is what people that haven't tried digging further believe. The problem with thrash is that a lot of bands started getting signed to bigger/major labels in the late 80s, and compromised their original sound to sound more like Metallica or Anthrax (see: Coma of Souls, Under the Influence/The Years of Decay, Agent Orange, Beneath the Remains/Arise, etc). The truly creative and interesting thrash bands that lasted into the early 90s never had a chance.

Not a chance. 1992 releases:

Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
Antidote - The Truth
Deathrow - Life Beyond
Fallen Angel - Faith Fails
Stygian - Planetary Destruction
Vulture - Easier to Lie
Mekong Delta - Kaleidoscope
Risk - The Reborn
Solstice - Solstice
Tourniquet - Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance
Typhoon - Take Good Care
Aspid - Extravasation
Entropy - Ashen Existence
Despair - Beyond All Reason
Sadus - A Vision of Misery
Defiance - Beyond Recognition
Depressive Age - The First Depression
Sodom - Tapping the Vein
Chemical Breath - Fatal Exposure
Cerebral Fix - Death Erotica

...some of the best thrash albums in existence, especially Antidote, Aspid, Solstice, Demolition Hammer. Also Stygian, Chemical Breath, Typhoon, Vulture, Defiance, Deathrow...that is some kick ass music. There's no way all of that happened during some sort of 'crash'.

The only one out of that list that I own is A Vision of Misery and it's a pretty average affair. Maybe the rest are all amazing. I'd moved on to death metal by 92.