Controversial opinions on metal

And when I got into death metal, it most certainly was not "modern death metal" more like, Death, Morbid Angel, Deicide, Nocturnus, and Pestilence. I got into every genre exploring where they started. First death metal song I really enjoyed was immortal rites.

The best riffs I've heard have been in death metal, black metal second, doom third, thrash fourth, power metal fifth.

Technical_Barbarity is an extremely immature person and has no liberty calling others "kids". I wouldn't be surprised if you were actually 15 years old.

Don't need 1000 meh riffs when I can have 10 good ones

Outside of trad-doom there's not much doom I'm aware of that really excels in terms of riffs. I mean, sure, there are funeral/atmospheric/whatever doom bands that technically have riffs and use them to an effect conducive to the music's intent, but I can't think of any riffs in less traditional forms of doom where I would go "Fuck yeah, that riff".

The best riffs I've heard have been in death metal, black metal second, doom third, thrash fourth, power metal fifth.

Black metal is almost riffless, come on.

Also, I keep a list of favorite riffs because I'm autistic, and I think Mike Sifringer alone has more entries than the all of my death and doom metal entries combined. The superiority of the thrash riff cannot be disputed.

Sludge has its fair share of good riff work and Sleep alone justifies the existence of stoner doom.

Trad. doom IS the best though.

Also, I keep a list of favorite riffs because I'm autistic, and I think Mike Sifringer alone has more entries than the all of my death and doom metal entries combined. The superiority of the thrash riff cannot be disputed.

what are your fave dm albums? do u even like any dm?

I dunno. I just listened to Fudge Tunnel's Hate Songs and am pretty sure there were a few strong standalone riffs there, but in general when I think of sludge riffs I think of low rhythmic value, high textural (noise/feedback) value.

Black Stone Wielder has the best riff of doom metal at 0:52. I challenge anyone to beat it (maybe excluding Sabbath since that's too easy).

EDIT: That was irt Mort

what are your fave dm albums? do u even like any dm?

I'll just copy my top 10 from the recent DM game.

1. Atrocity – Todessehnsucht
2. Dark Millennium – Ashore the Celestial Burden
3. Pestilence – Consuming Impulse
4. At the Gates – The Red in the Sky is Ours
5. Demilich – Nespithe
6. Cryptopsy – None So Vile
7. Death – Leprosy
8. !T.O.O.H.! – Rad a trest
9. Cadaver – ...In Pains
10. Sentenced – North from Here

I'm probably a lot pickier with death metal than thrash, especially in that I tend to think of most OSDM as being closer to thrash and any "brutal"/modern variations doing almost nothing for me. I'd say most of those have excellent riffs (although ironically, my top 2 probably have the worst riffs of the bunch).

eek, some of those can be a bit tough to sit through. a little surprised at that list.

ya know there a few bands out there with thrashy riffs that are still completely in dm territory. heres one that might be up your alley. i'll list you a bunch on a pm if you're interested

Last edited by a moderator:
eek, some of those can be a bit tough to sit through. a little surprised at that list.
Are you kidding me? Are you one of those hipster retards who only conveys appreciation for obscure music? Other than None So Vile even me the undisputed obsessive generic obscure death metal retard can say he picked some fine death metal, I wouldn't say his bands have the best riffs, but I still love all those albums. Incantation and Bolt Thrower are the best examples of death metal with memorable/epic riffs.

And just saying, you're not going to alter his mind in anyway, he's probably been listening to metal a lot longer than you, and his opinion has been made through years of listening to metal. At least that's my impression so far, but I haven't been following this form very often recently.

Which ones are tough to sit through? I'll assume Rad a trest is one (I almost don't think of it as death metal but better it than some other album), probably None So Vile another (it may have been instrumental in modern tech-death wank but the hooks and production are flawless), maybe the Sentenced is too melodic for you as well?

I know Demented Ted, and to me that stuff may as well just be labeled straight-up thrash, albeit with death vox and lower tuning. It's a good album but other thrash bands have done it better.

And just saying, you're not going to alter his mind in anyway, he's probably been listening to metal a lot longer than you, and his opinion has been made through years of listening to metal. At least that's my impression so far, but I haven't been following this form very often recently.

tbh I think BeyondTorment has been listening to metal for quite a while as well, probably longer than me. I definitely wouldn't call myself an expert in death metal so I'm open to anything that may broaden my horizons there a bit. When it comes to death metal I'm more attracted to the overall sound than thrash where I can easily dissect exactly what I love or hate in it. Sometimes I think death metal is inherently a little more conceptual/sum-of-parts, other times I think I might still not have a full appreciation of what everyone gets out of it.

hard to listen=/= bad
there's lots of good tech/prog dm that i like, just dont have much of it in my tops.
anyways, it's getting late, so i'm going to bed.

you two boys have fun ;p ( hb and his online guardian)

edit: i'm more of an atmospheric/doom-death fan than i am prog/tech. autopsy, morgue, amorphis, bolt thrower, asphyx, etc. are some of my faves.

I'm big on old-school tech/prog metal (whether thrash, death, or "pure" (Fates Warning/Psychotic Waltz etc)) so yeah, we'll differ there.

Trouble might honestly be the most riff-minded band out of early trad. doom bands. It is a shame what they ended up as.

No idea how you go from this:

to

Last edited by a moderator: