Controversial opinions on metal

I dunno. I just listened to Fudge Tunnel's Hate Songs and am pretty sure there were a few strong standalone riffs there, but in general when I think of sludge riffs I think of low rhythmic value, high textural (noise/feedback) value.

Black Stone Wielder has the best riff of doom metal at 0:52. I challenge anyone to beat it (maybe excluding Sabbath since that's too easy).

EDIT: That was irt Mort

this beats it, imo.
one of the most headbangable riffs of all time.
song actually has a few monster riffs

"Endtime is a bit more out there in the beginning, almost going into an "I am Iron Man!!!" moment a few times, before a monster riff explodes out of nowhere, teasing the listener for a few seconds before going back to a slower doom riff backbone over deranged, psychadelic soloing. This would be a direction the band would pursue extensively later in their career. The riffs come in earnest around 2.40 in, solid doom riffage that slowly folds, spins, and mutilates the listener before supergluing his eyelids together and leaving him to die in a gravitational field just outside a 12th story window. Excellent stuff."

m-a review

2:47

original mix of it sounds sooo good, it's definitely worth tracking.:tickled: both remasters are a bit of a downgrade, especially the newest version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trouble is my favorite doom metal band for exactly the reasons shown above, so props to the above posts there. The riff at about 2:09 in Revelation (Life or Death) is my personal favorite from them. The thing with Trouble is that they had no issue writing anything from what were almost thrash riffs down to some really slow dirgy (for its time) ones; they understood how to convey a range of moods and emotions in sheer riffing.

And yeah, I had actually noticed that my copy of Psalm 9 (the 1994 CD re-release) sounded a bit off at points, and now listen to some cassette rip I found on a blog which improved things. Should probably try and find a quality vinyl rip one day.

Once "atmospheric" and "symphonic" and etc black metal started to take off, riffs were reduced to little more than note progressions on which to apply keyboards or a couple of jangly chords repeated over and over. Sure, albums like DMDS have plenty of great riffs, and if we include first-wave stuff fundamentally built on speed/thrash riffs then you can find good stuff there too.

Trouble is my favorite doom metal band for exactly the reasons shown above, so props to the above posts there. The riff at about 2:09 in Revelation (Life or Death) is my personal favorite from them. The thing with Trouble is that they had no issue writing anything from what were almost thrash riffs down to some really slow dirgy (for its time) ones; they understood how to convey a range of moods and emotions in sheer riffing.

And yeah, I had actually noticed that my copy of Psalm 9 (the 1994 CD re-release) sounded a bit off at points, and now listen to some cassette rip I found on a blog which improved things. Should probably try and find a quality vinyl rip one day.

Once "atmospheric" and "symphonic" and etc black metal started to take off, riffs were reduced to little more than note progressions on which to apply keyboards or a couple of jangly chords repeated over and over. Sure, albums like DMDS have plenty of great riffs, and if we include first-wave stuff fundamentally built on speed/thrash riffs then you can find good stuff there too.

difference isn't gigantic, but it's pretty easy to tell them apart with headphones or good speakers(more hiss and less dynamics on the 94 remaster).
i can give you the files if you want, just ask if you're ever interested.
now the escapi remaster is completely different beast, that one is complete garbage. :devil:
it's way louder and has a modern fucking sound, lol.

have my doubts about the vinyl improving it much. waveform looks pretty good to me, but if you find it, let me know, so i can compare :)

Njy5OjS.png

for the unaware

94 metal blade remaster
http://www.discogs.com/Trouble-Psalm-9/release/1682034

mid 80s original(listed as 84, but it probably came out a few years later)
http://www.discogs.com/Trouble-Trouble/release/3522998

Dog_shit.jpg

With all this shit talking, both literally and jokingly, Im surprised big boss man U_C hasnt stepped in to pick random fights, calling you all immature, childish dicks.

I kinda feel special. <3

Show me some quality black metal riffing then.

This might actually be worth posting for.

[youtube]watch?v=CZAqOJntIQ4[/youtube]

[youtube]watch?v=F55-4TqiSv0[/youtube]

[youtube]watch?v=SL210CDz10I[/youtube]

[youtube]watch?v=pw-Advk5Qak[/youtube]

[youtube]watch?v=3gZZvJOJlDA[/youtube]

[youtube]watch?v=ptDKLw69li0[/youtube]

High quality riffs scattered throughout each song. I can't be arsed pointing each example out.

I was listening to hades - dawn of the dying sun. Some great riffs on there and the bass plays a huge part. Very underrated norwegian bm.

I understand where hbb is coming from though probably not to the same degree

Master's Hammer and Mortuary Drape are first-wave so of course they have some strong riffs, no argument there. Similar goes for Gorgoroth, they were early enough in the second wave that the DMDS/etc influence can still be heard. That Grand Belial's Key got surprisingly choppy/groovy after the first minute, I can dig that. I was under the impression that they were more melodic and flowery, but if the rest of the album has moments like that I could enjoy it. Never got into Rotting Christ, and there seemed to be a strong inverse correlation between how black metal the riffs sound and how good they are; the tremolo picked ones that make up the first and last minutes of the song are the least interesting. The Sorhin song did nothing for me.

I'm sure you'll just tell me these songs aren't "pure black metal" or some stupid shit.

Last edited by a moderator: