Controversial opinions on metal

I seem to remember them being Slaughter of the Soul type metalcore with a bunch of oddball stuff being thrown in. Admittedly I haven't listened to them for a while, but I'd still take them over pretty much any other band in their genre.

As I said, I only enjoy Alaska and Colors, the rest of their stuff sucks shit. They are one of the few examples of "prog metal" I can enjoy.

Reminder that you're literally a fan of Dream Theater with breakdowns.

Yeah because every song of theirs is like Selkies, flawless logic (In actuality, you're dumb and I hope you never procreate).

Facepalm count: 9.

Fates Warning is my preferred beverage.

I dig Fates Warning.

As I said, I enjoy a few prog metal bands. But I can count them on one hand. Prog ROCK rules; prog METAL, by and large, blows.

I dig Fates Warning.

As I said, I enjoy a few prog metal bands. But I can count them on one hand. Prog ROCK rules; prog METAL, by and large, blows.

One hand? You aren't digging deep enough, unless you don't mean that literally.
I agree though, somehow Progressive music never quite made good in the realm of Metal.

I think the hidden truth to this is The Butt just doesn't know how to count beyond five.

The pitfalls of being the Canadian version of a redneck hick.

One hand? You aren't digging deep enough, unless you don't mean that literally.
I agree though, somehow Progressive music never quite made good in the realm of Metal.

I don't feel the need since I don't dig the style. I mean, if people link me to some good stuff, I'll give it a chance, but I've listened to enough terrible bullshit under the "prog metal" moniker that I've grown jaded of the search.

There are a small, small fraction of bands that do it well (and no, I'm not saying BTBAM is inherently among them, I admitted they were a guilty pleasure), but for the most part, 99% of prog metal is haphazardly thrown-together contrasting sections, masturbatory riffs, featuring whiny, wailing vocalists.

Its almost as if the majority of metal musicians don't understand what "progressive" actually means as a musical quality (a song that actually progresses and builds up in a sophisticated yet logical fashion). I'd liken a lot of post-metal to be more akin to true progressive metal than what is passed off as such today.

I think the hidden truth to this is The Butt just doesn't know how to count beyond five.

The pitfalls of being the Canadian version of a redneck hick.

Lol! :lol: You're a tool, man. Your posterior still bruised from the If Mort Ruled The World thread?

Post-metal is a joke and one of the most contrived movements within metal in existence. It might have been "progressive" the first time around but that crescendocore bullshit is as uninspired as anything else.

Goddamn. I've seen potatoes with more intellectual capacity. "Oh no it doesn't have groove! This makes me uneasy!"

Facepalm count: 1000.

I don't feel the need since I don't dig the style. I mean, if people link me to some good stuff, I'll give it a chance, but I've listened to enough terrible bullshit under the "prog metal" moniker that I've grown jaded of the search.

There are a small, small fraction of bands that do it well (and no, I'm not saying BTBAM is inherently among them, I admitted they were a guilty pleasure), but for the most part, 99% of prog metal is haphazardly thrown-together contrasting sections, masturbatory riffs, featuring whiny, wailing vocalists.

Its almost as if the majority of metal musicians don't understand what "progressive" actually means as a musical quality (a song that actually progresses and builds up in a sophisticated yet logical fashion). I'd liken a lot of post-metal to be more akin to true progressive metal than what is passed off as such today.

That's a really fair opinion that I can respect, even the Post-Metal part is true.
Though I'm not a fan of the style.

Most of my Progressive Metal discoveries have been accidental, if you try to find it on purpose, you'll drown in audio shite.

That's a really fair opinion that I can respect, even the Post-Metal part is true.
Though I'm not a fan of the style.

Most of my Progressive Metal discoveries have been accidental, if you try to find it on purpose, you'll drown in audio shite.

Care to list your favorite prog metal (preferably lesser-known bands), and I'll sample some after work tomorrow? As I said, I'm open to any good metal. It's just disheartening when I get bombarded with stuff similar to Ayreon, Communic, Opeth, Anubis Gate, Pain of Salvation, etc.

As it stands, I'll check out Against Nature.

Care to list your favorite prog metal (preferably lesser-known bands), and I'll sample some after work tomorrow? As I said, I'm open to any good metal. It's just disheartening when I get bombarded with stuff similar to Ayreon, Communic, Opeth, Anubis Gate, Pain of Salvation, etc.

As it stands, I'll check out Against Nature.

Sure, you got it. I'll post them here, just got to pause this western I'm watching and look through my shit.

Btw, Against Nature is a side project of Revelation.