Controversial opinions on metal

they stole an exact riff tbf. i wouldn't care at all about that if it worked for me though, but it doesn't and i find it distracting. it's not one of my favourite angel witch songs anyway tbh, ironically i like dreams of eschaton more overall.

yar

partially related: personally i would love manilla road a whole lot more if they removed more or less every single thrashy passage from their discog. they're still possibly in my top 10 trad bands ever though.

I mean, Metallica stole the Angel of Death riff for For Whom the Bell Tolls as well, the difference is one song is a classic and the other is amazingly bloated.

Manilla Road trying thrash is embarrassing. I'd rather listen to Whitechapel the band than Whitechapel the Manilla Road song.

It's a boring as fuck generic thrash song stretched to 7 minutes where 3~4 would have sufficed. I can't believe some people actually compare that album to 80s Destruction or describe it is technical. Return of the Old Ones is a great song but pretty much the only thing worth a listen on that album.

Why do you guys keep bringing up Abyss? Hah. I don't think anyone considers it a good album.

Someone else had just mentioned "the first 7" as if they were all of equivalent quality, and I think it has a decent M-A average and stuff. People like it, and they're wrong.

You said none of the 7 had duds. Point is, it's a respected album and valid to criticize, unlike, say, The Circus Maximus (which I prefer to Crystal Logic tbh).

Doesn't mean there isn't a quality fluctuation among my favourite albums.

Edit: Respect for being able to appreciate The Circus Maximus, not many are, including me.
It's an album I've been progressively opening up to.