Controversial opinions on metal

Wow, some of you guys actually like Whitechapel? They ruin an otherwise decent/ok modern death metal sound with really generic and boring breakdown and groove sections. Completely not worth listening to imo.

On a related note, the only 'core' band ive ever warmed up to is Unearth. They are hit or miss, but their brand of melodic metalcore is one of my more enjoyable guilty pleasures. Especially The Oncoming Storm.

I remember seeing a joke lyric interpretation video of one of Trivium's songs (Pull Harder on something) years ago, and after that I could never take them seriously. Not like I could ever take them seriously to begin with, but that video was just over the top. I havent been able to find it since, unfortunately. Lots of imitation vids, but nothing like the mockery that was in the original one.

I remember seeing a joke lyric interpretation video of one of Trivium's songs (Pull Harder on something) years ago, and after that I could never take them seriously. Not like I could ever take them seriously to begin with, but that video was just over the top. I havent been able to find it since, unfortunately. Lots of imitation vids, but nothing like the mockery that was in the original one.
BOAT RUDDER! STRANG MOUNTAIN! :tickled:

Is this controversial... Cradle of Filth's new album is really fucking good. I didn't really pay attention to the two albums after Godspeed save for one or two songs so I don't know how they compare but Hammer of the Witches sounds inspired. Probably their most aggressive as well.

BOAT RUDDER! STRANG MOUNTAIN! :tickled:

Yea, thats the one. Though a lot of repeat vids have similar lines, but never seemed to be as entertaining. I think the charm was that the original poster hated the band (as do I).

Is this controversial... Cradle of Filth's new album is really fucking good. I didn't really pay attention to the two albums after Godspeed save for one or two songs so I don't know how they compare but Hammer of the Witches sounds inspired. Probably their most aggressive as well.

I'd have to check it out first. I wrote off CoF years ago and havent bothered with them since. Though ill still throw on Vempire if I want cheesy medieval vampire music.

I used to like Trivium's Ascendancy, and sometimes I try to listen to August Burns Red despite their "christian metalcore" initial appearance.

First ABR album
Second and third Unearth
First two Trivium albums (Embers to Inferno is their best) and Shogun
Second Killswitch album (I like all of them, but that's especially good metalcore)
Raunchy - Death Pop Romance

Those are the only ones I really listen to anymore and it's very sparingly at that.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Whitechapel song I heard, Spiderchrist posted it a couple years ago.

Sounds pretty much just like typical sterile death metal to me, a little melo-stuffs, a breakdown, but whatever. It's listenable, which is more than I can say of Manilla Road's attempts at thrash.

Are you implying Metalcore and Deathcore don't come from Hardcore Punk?

Oh shit, I thought I edited that. What I was going to say was that I like how grindcore draws from the more extreme side of hardcore punk, whereas metalcore and deathcore simply just draw from the attitude and try to control it.

This is the Whitechapel song I heard, Spiderchrist posted it a couple years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44_TCVfbDHQ

Sounds pretty much just like typical sterile death metal to me, a little melo-stuffs, a breakdown, but whatever. It's listenable, which is more than I can say of Manilla Road's attempts at thrash.

This isn't as bad as whatever it was I heard by them in the past, but it's still fucking terrible.
If you pick this over a thrashy Manilla Road song, you're beyond help dickhead.

Post a good thrashy Mystification song, I haven't heard that album so maybe there's something I'm missing

There isn't a lot on youtube from Mystification, not that it matters, the worst song from the worst album by Manilla Road is leagues ahead of anything that shit band will ever record if you ask me.