Controversial opinions on metal

i like GATES OF FIRE more than a couple of the 'big four'. might even be my second favourite.

'helicon' and 'war in heaven' are easily the best two songs on OUT OF THE ABYSS. that's the manilla road i love.

the closer on 'invasion' is really lovely btw folks. well worth a youtube for those not familiar.

I think for the later albums, the clear winner is Spiral Castle. I like Gates and Mark (I know its old re-release) more than the others though.

Wow, it's not on youtube. How kvlt. It's pretty awesome and different than Gates, I dig it. I did forget about Atlantis Rising though, I like that one alot too.

Blessed Curse has more lasting power than Mysterium and Playground of the Damned to me. The metal songs on there are good with, as your say, "Reign of Dreams" being a great track. But, to me, The Blessed Curse is all about those acoustic numbers and the magnificent "Tomes of Clay." Call it exotic, but fuck that song is catchy as fucking hell.

In terms of reunion albums Spiral Castle, Gates of Fire, Voyager, and Mark of the Beast, and hell even Atlantis Rising are all worth listening to when you are sick of hearing the classic jams.

I mean, Metallica stole the Angel of Death riff for For Whom the Bell Tolls as well, the difference is one song is a classic and the other is amazingly bloated.

Manilla Road trying thrash is embarrassing. I'd rather listen to Whitechapel the band than Whitechapel the Manilla Road song.
Whitechapel is good, brah

tbh I do remember someone posting a Whitechapel song here and finding it surprisingly listenable. At least I think it was them.

First Whitechapel album is some weird mash of Deicide, brutal death metal, and deathcore.

Quality has sharply declined since then to the point they almost sound like Slipknot on their latest.