Controversial opinions on metal

Are you brain damaged? Their later output is the most metallic stuff they have put out. They embody the spirit of 80s heavy metal.

No actually. Wrong.

There are tinges of punk in their sound but to deny they are more metal than anything is to deny fact.

The Cult is Alive, you are right on. But one album does not make his claim that "newer Darkthrone isn't metal", or even a claim that "newer Darkthrone is more punk than metal" even remotely valid.

The Cult is Alive to me sounds like black metal with a heavy crust punk influence (and not the other way around).

The Cult is Alive to me sounds like black metal with a heavy crust punk influence (and not the other way around).

Crust Punk? Are you just saying that because the album art looks crusty? Because I don't hear much, if any, Crust in their sound.

I embarrass myself? Your posts here and in the other thread make me feel like I'm dropping some IQ points. You asked which Darkthrone stuff weren't metal like you haven't ever listened to The Cult is Alive, FOAD and everything they made after. However I shouldn't be surprised if you said the stuff was "metal to me" (the dumb poser line you kept embarrassing yourself with). I stopped answering simply because I gave up on your ignorance. At least on the other subject Mort Divine was trying to narrow down a fingerprint for Industrial Metal while there isn't really one for it, but you're just a waste of time.

Edit: Oh btw, I'm going out of town for a few days, so if you've got anything to say before I catch you don't take my silence as whatever stupid you might make out of it in your mind.

There you go again, embarrassing yourself.

Crust Punk? Are you just saying that because the album art looks crusty? Because I don't hear much, if any, Crust in their sound.

I think it captures more the essence of the dark dirty heaviness of punk in a way that id say is crusty. It may be cleaner and more riff driven than most crust, but is much more riff driven in a black metal way. It take it either way tbh, hardcore punk or crust punk influenced, but imo it is a bit darker in tone than most hardcore punk ive heard.

I think it captures more the essence of the dark dirty heaviness of punk in a way that id say is crusty. It may be cleaner and more riff driven than most crust, but is much more riff driven in a black metal way. It take it either way tbh, hardcore punk or crust punk influenced, but imo it is a bit darker in tone than most hardcore punk ive heard.

I just feel that Crust is a very extreme, intense style whereas new Darkthrone are very moderate.

I just feel that Crust is a very extreme, intense style whereas new Darkthrone are very moderate.

And I feel that the toning down of the more extreme and dirty parts of crust punk are due to the Celtic Frost-esque black metal influence. You are thinking crust punk first, whereas im thinking it's black metal first.

And I feel that the toning down of the more extreme and dirty parts of crust punk are due to the Celtic Frost-esque black metal influence. You are thinking crust punk first, whereas im thinking it's black metal first.

I'm thinking not Crust Punk at all actually, the Punk I hear in Darkthrone seems to come from bands like Motorhead and all that Japanese Punk that Fenriz is obsessed with.

Sure, there's definitely some similarities with Amebix though.

I'm thinking not Crust Punk at all actually, the Punk I hear in Darkthrone seems to come from bands like Motorhead and all that Japanese Punk that Fenriz is obsessed with.

Sure, there's definitely some similarities with Amebix though.

Yea, I hear a lot of Amebix in their sound, though you may be right that they werent particularly being influenced by them. I dont know Fenriz's taste in music, im just going by what I hear.