Controversial opinions on metal

I will say Virgin Steele isn't very good. I usually love the old school traditional metal bands but they just don't do it for me at all. I have their first three or so albums and theyre boring so I never bothered with the ones from later in their career when the albums got longer and more polished. No contest vs Cirith Ungol or Heavy Load.

They're extremely hit or miss, their first three aren't even the fan favourites by the way.
Their most praised shit is from the 90's.

My favourite album would have to be Guardians of the Flame though.

Edit: ^see? Middle to late 90's.

Yeah I can't handle 70 minute albums. Very rarely should a metal album be that long and theirs are a perfect example of albums that need around a half hour cut from them.

Rocka Rolla has some really awesome stuff on it. "Run of the Mill" is one of the coolest Judas Priest tracks.

i really like several bathory albums (inc. all the '80s ones) but tend to find them too inconsistent to rank them up among my absolute favourites. not sure which i'd rank as the best.... the bookends of BLOOD FIRE DEATH are quorthon's peak for me but the stuff in between is mostly nowhere near that level.

agreed on 'run of the mill'.

Entire discography? Thats a stretch.

I need to give Hammerheart and everything after another visit because I really only stick to the first 4 albums, my favorite being Blood Fire Death.

Never really cared for anything else I heard, tbh.

Entire discography? Thats a stretch.

I need to give Hammerheart and everything after another visit because I really only stick to the first 4 albums, my favorite being Blood Fire Death.

Never really cared for anything else I heard, tbh.

I literally enjoy it all. Even Octagon and Requiem.

I only own the first three. I never bothered buying the rest because I listened to downloads back in the day and they were boring.

I only own the first three. I never bothered buying the rest because I listened to downloads back in the day and they were boring.

Oh okay, well I agree with you on album length.
The worst part about the introduction of the CD is the fucking over-indulgent album lengths, every now and then it can be justified but mostly it's just bollocks.