Controversial opinions on metal

I'm prefacing this opinion with the fact that I like everything Immortal did and that At The Heart of Winter is a great album and the best of their early stuff:

The last three Immortal records are better than the first five Immortal records.

I listen to their whole discography with the exception of All Shall Fall. That one did not click with me one bit. No wonder they stopped making music after it and then called it quits...

Damned In Black is really over looked, same with Sons of Northern Darkness, just cant get into ASF, but Pure Holocaust is better than the last 3 Immortal records combined.

EDIT:

One last one to stir the pot: Immortal is the best black metal band to come out of Norway.

I can't agree with that at all. The first two albums are the best. Their new stuff is lacking.

Between Two Worlds is better than most Immortal albums.

AtHoW is clearly their pinnacle. Blizzard Beasts is overlooked, though

Between Two Worlds is better than most Immortal albums.

I disagree. While still good, I think it's the worst thing Abbath did. There's an energy missing on that record. I remember when I first heard it I was like 'I. NEED. THIS!' and then when I finally got it earlier this year I was like '...that's it?'

It may sink in more later, but the only memorable song to me is 'The Storm I Ride'.

I also agree with Kafka in that Immortal is the best Norwegian black metal band.

That whole album is energy! I think the problem a lot of people have with it is that they want a black metal record, which it really isnt. Well, not entirely. It combines the sounds of immortal with abbaths love of motorhead. Its basically immortal gone black n roll with a bit of bathory thrown in.

We need more of I more than we need Immortal. ASF was a snoozefest and SoND was OK, but it sounds like immortal-lite. Dont even get me started on Damned in Black

The first two Immortal albums are legendary. Don't care much for Waffles in the North and Blizzard Beasts, but usually I seem to come back to their later stuff for the fun factors. It's just hard not to like Immortal.

BLIZZARD BEASTS is super weird. i do like it though. not fond ot BATTLES, sounds like someone rattling a cutlery drawer. first 2 are tops for me too. i do like the closer on SoND quite a lot tho

They've never put out a weak record but if I had to pick one comparing to the others it would probably be Damned in Black. At least All Shall Fall is a catchy album.

Since there doesn't seem to be anything much controversial about Immortal I might as well bitch about Abbath sounding like a sailor and wait for the Butt and dickheads to start and get a beer meanwhile.

Well on a more serious note, I believe the more you get used to a certain sound the harder it makes to tell its deficiencies (musical-wise).

Abbath's vocals have grown on me over the years but I remember the first time listening to Immortal and my first impression was that the guy wasn't trying hard enough to pitch his sound and that was kind of pretentious and undesirable to my ears. It seems he really tried for the first album though.