Controversial opinions on metal

... I personally don't give a fuck about most symphonic death metal, but Septic Flesh are something else ... and its mostly due to the fact that they work with a real orchestra. It blends in with their sound perfectly imo.

I dig some Fleshgod too(most people here don't), but i dont think they work with an actual orchestra ... i honestly cant think of another dm band that does.

It's easy to do something that nobody else is doing, but it's hard to do it in a way that creates something of quality and consistency. While metal often pushes boundaries, it often tends to become weaker from my perspective when it relies on certain elements of other more traditional music in a way that I find at odds with what I'm after in my musical explorations.

That's why I find that most symphonic metal falls short of the mark for me.

There's a good reason for that.

Oh is there? ok.

The point i was trying to make was that there are a shit load of symphonic metal bands, but only a few(none in the DM realm as far as i know) that are really "truly symphonic" outside of Septic Flesh, since none use a real orchestra. That is why no other band truly captures that real symphonic sound like they do .... because it would require working with a REAL orchestra, which i'm pretty sure is not an easy task.

Orchestrated music is amazing whether on its own or with other music, I find it weird how some people act like having a symphony in something makes it ghey poser methul. I think it makes it more awesome if it is incorporated well with the music which Septicflesh does. I honestly think their early albums are pretty terrible with horrid guitar tone, thin as fuck mixing and generally mediocre performances across the board. They did not really find their sound until Sumerian Daemons, maybe a bit in the album before that (forgot the name). Even if some of the guitar work is pretty simple they nail it in the atmosphere department.

Thats just like, my opinion though man :)

Who cares if guitar work is simple? Never understood how that's even a critique, God just imagine if they were wanky on top of having an orchestra.

I like orchestral music, it's nothing to do with whatever lame trve cliché you're attempting to sling, just don't like it mixed with Metal.
I'm open to the idea but I'm yet to hear any example I like.

Anyway I'll stop now because I'm beginning to sound like an insufferable assface.

I think orchestra and metal can be an amazing mix. Working with a real orchestra is difficult and so rare. I like Fleshgod Apocalypse and to a lesser degree Carach Angren for their symphonic elements.

Listening to Titan, and seeing the ridiculous band photos, i just kept thinking that they want to be a death metal version of dimmu borgir. I dont like that band either. To me, both bands hide their lack of songwriting skills behind an orchestra. Shit with an orchestra is still shit.

Symphonic death metal done right is rare. Therions third album and Hollenthons first two are good examples. Project Hates 1st one is a guilty pleasure of mine

Who cares if guitar work is simple? Never understood how that's even a critique, God just imagine if they were wanky on top of having an orchestra.

I like orchestral music, it's nothing to do with whatever lame trve cliché you're attempting to sling

I don't consider simple guitar a problem, I hear other people(usually guitar wankers) make those kinds of complaints about symphonic bands. I find it services them more often than not.

The trvv cliche also was not directed at an individual here but it also something I heard ENDLESSLY when Dimmu Borgir released Death Cult Armaggedon (and seemingly any band that adds more elements to their music). Elitists bitching that they had grand a bombastic sound and such bullshit. The orchestra is probably the sole reason I liked that album. The hate some bands get from elitists for dumb reasons can be ridiculous.

Listening to Titan, and seeing the ridiculous band photos, i just kept thinking that they want to be a death metal version of dimmu borgir. I dont like that band either. To me, both bands hide their lack of songwriting skills behind an orchestra. Shit with an orchestra is still shit.

Dimmu only played with an actual orchestra once, no? And I dont think they've worked with an orchestra on any of their albums.

Anyway, i think they suck.

I like orchestral music, it's nothing to do with whatever lame trve cliché you're attempting to sling, just don't like it mixed with Metal.

THIS.

Anyway I'll stop now because I'm beginning to sound like an insufferable assface.

This x1000.