Controversial opinions on metal

One is better than none. The fact that Nyktalgia sounds a lot like early Burzum rather than like those other bands helps.

Abyssic Hate is total Burzum worship. :/

And Thy Light's full-length may have been shit, I'll give you that, but I adore the demo. There's actually some nice songwriting there. Really immersive.

Abyssic Hate is total Burzum worship. :/

And Thy Light's full-length may have been shit, I'll give you that, but I adore the demo. There's actually some nice songwriting there. Really immersive.

Abyssic Hate sounds like a bad wannabe band. Nyktalgia actually knows what they're doing and have songwriting ability.

Hundreds of black metal bands try to sound like Burzum. Nyktalgia is one of the few that managed to sound convincing and they also understand how to compose music that makes them more than just a pale imitation.

Abyssic Hate sounds like a bad wannabe band.

Disagreed entirely, I believe Suicidal Emotions is a top-ten black metal album. Minimal yet dynamic songwriting, with excellent vocals and very fitting production.

The song "Depression, Pt. 1" alone destroys 90 percent of black metal imo, and black metal is my favorite genre. I implore you to give the album another go before replying.

I guess that's just where we split off then.

When "riffs" (in the sense of the word that you are speaking of) are added to black metal (first wave being an exception) I generally lose interest. I love riffy and chuggy thrash, death, etc... but when it comes to black metal give me the trem-picked, chordy, "riffless" stuff all day.

The only kind of atmospheric quality I can stand in Black Metal is epicness, eg Graveland, The Summoning, bands with that medieval thing going on.

I need rabid, evil riffs!

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy stuff like that, I just connect with the more layered stuff more.

Case in point, even with that song, my favorite part was always the ringing arpeggiated section at the very beginning. :lol: