Controversial opinions on metal

Somewhere in Time is still very good, but it falls short of the first five. It's where the choruses started to get a little more repetitive, the songs a bit overlong, the energy a bit less, etc. SSOASS is riffless and only has some excellent leads and guitar harmonies to save it.

And while Where Eagles Dare is my favorite Maiden track period, people that treat Quest for Fire or Sun & Steel as if they're actually bad songs don't know what they're talking about. Every song is excellent on that one.

Reactions: CiG
Somewhere in Time is still very good, but it falls short of the first five. It's where the choruses started to get a little more repetitive, the songs a bit overlong, the energy a bit less, etc. SSOASS is riffless and only has some excellent leads and guitar harmonies to save it.

And while Where Eagles Dare is my favorite Maiden track period, people that treat Quest for Fire or Sun & Steel as if they're actually bad songs don't know what they're talking about. Every song is excellent on that one.

The last half of that album sucks as much as you find black metal to suck

Still Life is a masterpiece, some of those riffs in the middle of the song are as close to angular (in a Mercyful Fate sense) as they'd ever be, and the atmosphere is a bit different from most Maiden. Quest for Fire is cheesy but it's so bombastic and over the top that it works, not to mention that The Prophecy is basically just a retread of that song anyways. Sun & Steel is maybe a little generic/filler-y, but it's a short little galloper that gets the job done, and the chorus is super-catchy. To Tame a Land is a masterpiece and has riffs to take on the entire Burzum discography.

tl;dr you suck

Reactions: CiG

WOOP WOOP false opinion detected

baron-rob-halford-o.gif

Reactions: The Ozzman and CiG
Just stumbled upon this browsing the latest Aquarius Records email some of you might be interested in or not. Sounds pretty fucking boring to me, never the less.

'Our next upcoming instore event is a bit unusual... an academic symposium. Or, "Grimposium", as it pertains to extreme metal. On Wednesday, January 6th at 7pm, we'll be hosting a panel discussion on the subject of Sexual Violence and Misogyny in Metal (or to give it its full title: Sexual Violence and Misogyny in Literary and Lyrical Frameworks: Intersecting the Humanities and Social Sciences in the Context of Niche Music, Film and Visual Art Scenes). Organized by researchers at Concordia University in Montreal, the panel will include Daniel Butler – a psychoanalytic psychotherapist by profession as well as visual artist, lyricist and vocalist with Oakland-based death metal band, Vastum; Leila Abdul-Rauf - a multi-instrumentalist composer, lyricist and vocalist in Bay Area metal bands Hammers of Misfortune and Vastum; Beth Winegarner - a journalist and author who has written about heavy metal and gender for the New Yorker and Invisible Oranges, and whose book "The Columbine Effect" explores how heavy metal and other scapegoated pastimes can be a healthy part of growing up; Bradley Nelson – a feminist scholar with expertise in the literary works of Miguel de Cervantes and modern Scandinavian crime fiction; and Vivek Venkatesh - a social psychologist with extensive embedded experience in Scandinavian extreme metal scenes. The panel will be moderated by Justin Norton, an established music writer based in the Bay Area. And, after the discussion, there will be an brief improvised reading and electric guitar performance featuring the guitarist for local doom metal trio Cardinal Wyrm. So, mark your calendars, that's January 6th at 7. Should be interesting to say the least. There is also a related show at the Golden Bull in Oakland the next night, January 7th. More info here: https://www.facebook.com/grimposium/'

My problem with Priest is actually that it's NOT boring, in a way. There's so much fucking variety to the music that I find it difficult to have a sweeping opinion on the band. Huge, huge props for the versatility, and being able to appeal to multiple preferences like that definitely helps your popularity, but everyone should have a solid brand.

Reactions: HamburgerBoy
Iron Maiden's trifecta of Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, and Powerslave is fucking awesome. The latter two might not be absolutely perfect, but they are still very, very good albums (IMO). They are what pushed Iron Maiden above and beyond the rest of NWOBHM and allowed them to survive well after most of the others had perished to the wayside (despite many of them being very good in their own right). The two albums that came after were lackluster in the face of what came before, but they had their moments. I actually think Gers was a great addition to Iron Maiden, and No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark were their best albums since the trifecta and of anything that came after.

There, that should get me flamed.

Judas Priest was similarly awesome, especially in their early period. At least up through Screaming for Vengeance, they always had something to offer. The Tipton/Downing attack is just fucking insane.

Controversial Opinion: No Prayer for the Dying was Iron Maiden's fourth best album.

Last edited:
I'd say No Prayer is their sixth best, after the first five. Love the energy and how straight-to-the-point it is, even if it is a bit silly at times. Definitely much better than most people seem to consider it.

And yeah, up to Screaming for Vengeance is about where I would put the cut-off for Priest's best run. Gets spotty after that, but even their worst albums are pretty OK.

I really need to do a ranking of all the Iron Maiden albums as a project in 2016 since i did it for Priest and the Rush one is a work in progress. Here's the Top 5 for me:

SIT
SSOASS
Powerslave
Fear of the Dark
Brave New World

If you can't rank every single Maiden song, you aren't a true fan.

Also, Fear of the Dark is pretty weak.