Controversial opinions on metal

Yes, there were a few good songs from that period, and it's easy enough to put the bad ones all at the bottom. Blood on the World's Hands is a pretty overlooked song; Iron Maiden has done the dark, brooding, anti-war thing to death by now, but that one does it right.

Judas priest is alternative buttrock

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I think that "Phantom of the Opera" is the best Iron Maiden song.

I can't understand liking Iron Maiden and not enjoying 1970s Judas Priest because of the clear similarities between them, but I also can't understand thinking that Iron Maiden is better than Judas Priest or that Dickinson Maiden is better than Di'Anno Maiden.

"Children Of The Damned" for me. The Number Of The Beast was huge and it was so awesome in those days having that album especially on jukeboxes and the music vids were always on TV.

Yeah Aces High and HBTN also Flight Of Icarus,Wasted Years, Sun and Steel.

Last edited:
Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Favourite Maiden tracks? 'Aces High' wins for me, closely followed by 'Powerslave'. I was also going to say 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' but I didn't want to be completely cliched....

Worst song? 'Back in The Village'.

Speaking of Maiden it was great to get those vinyl reissues this year but the first box that came with the first three LPs didn't house all of the LPs properly but if you sent Warner I think it was an email they sent your out another. Very nice collection though I couldn't be bothered collecting the singles.
I think they had only been reissued once or twice previously and once was only on pic disc.

Last edited:
Agreed, I just listened to Skunkworks a couple weeks ago in the car, and the only bad song is Dreamstate. Most of it is great; pretty clearly influenced by some of the alt rock stuff that was going on at the time, but obviously Dickinson still sings full power and the space/sci-fi theme throughout makes it especially interesting.

I actually like all of his albums. Even his B-sides/leftovers have some surprisingly good stuff. Overall he's clearly the main creative force behind the band these days.

wot aboot Accident of Birth? You can't dismiss an album with songs like Taking the Queen or Darkside of Aquarius.