Controversial opinions on metal

Painkiller is definitely the most overrated Judas Priest album. A lot of the album is quite terrible and it's a fairly brainless album in a lot of ways.

Iron Maiden has no album that's better than Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, or Stained Class. That's not a knock on Iron Maiden. It's just that those are basically untouchable albums. I'm also not sure how anyone can think Somewhere in Time or Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is Iron Maiden's best or even close to it.

I also can't really take anyone seriously if they worship Iron Maiden and think Judas Priest's 1970s output is overrated. There's quite a few people on this board who seem to think that's a justifiable opinion despite never really explaining why they feel that way, but it really doesn't make sense when you observe the more than passing similarities between the two bands.

Rob Halford is also a much better vocalist than Bruce Dickinson, especially in regards to technique and versatility.

More than any other Maiden album up to that point (and probably past), Powerslave had a wonderful ethereal / unearthly progressiveness about it. It is easy to get lost in that album.

What no country said. If you are analyzing it as a masterful suite of metal you've pretty much missed the point.

I understand exactly what it is. That doesn't make it any less overrated, considering that it's probably their most popular album in this day and age with younger metalheads and it's wildly inconsistent. "A Touch of Evil" is also really lame.

criticising PAINKILLER for being brainless is, well..... brainless. i mean, no shit, that's like its main calling card. totally lacks the depth of their best material, but for some ridiculous OTT fun there are few better.

Painkiller is a big fucking greasy bacon cheeseburger. You're not better off for eating it and there's nothing fancy about it but it's fucking good. No bullshit. No lettuce.

I understand exactly what it is. That doesn't make it any less overrated, considering that it's probably their most popular album in this day and age with younger metalheads and it's wildly inconsistent. "A Touch of Evil" is also really lame.
Night Crawler, however, rules and sorta makes up for the album's shortcomings on its own.

i agree with all the above. it's still mostly fun tho, in an obvious sorta way

Painkiller is an excellent album, arguably even their most consistent even though it doesn't hit the highs of the S trilogy.

I love Sad Wings, but it's definitely a step below the following two. The drumming is pretty weak, and the shorter "rocker" type songs (e.g. Tyrant) really aren't that impressive when you look in the greater context of 70s metal/heavy rock.

EDIT: Defenders is more brainless than Painkiller btw, and goes to shit pretty quickly after The Sentinel.

Best way to enjoy Piece of Mind
1. Place in CD player
2. Skip to The Trooper
3. Listen to The Trooper
4. Remove disc from the CD player.

I'm not the biggest Maiden fan...

This is hilarious - nice one. Actually, although I really love most of 'Piece of Mind' I find that most of the early 80s Iron Maiden albums have a few misses in there with the hits. I think that's why songs like 'Back in the Village' stand out so much, because they're surrounded by brilliance.

I also really love 'Seventh Son of a Seventh Son' (there are a lot of males in that family) and would almost class it as my favourite Maiden. Maybe in the top 3, although I've already exposed my ignorance of latter day Maiden.

"Tell me why I have to be a painkiller! I don't want to die, I'm a priest, why can't I live on??!!"

Sorry, that was terrible.