Controversial opinions on metal

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Judas Priest have a greater amount of good albums, but Iron Maiden have one or two albums that truly blow me away.
Sad Wings Of Destiny absolutely kicks my arse though.

Controversial opinion: While Maiden's first three with Dickinson are all great, his voice is nails on a chalkboard to me.

Reactions: 0Marty
Is it really your least favourite? Because there are so many shitty songs that they laid down post-1980's.

I'd be lying if I said I was familiar with every song Maiden put out from after 'Fear of the Dark'. In fact, now that I think about it, 'Virus' from 'Virtual XI' is a shocker and that's the only song I've heard from that album I think. I thought 'X Factor' was a good album and I've still got that on c.d. Blaze's voice though - jeez what were they thinking.

As for Bruce's solo stuff, I've got and love 'The Chemical Wedding' too. What a stunning album, especially the first 5 or 6 songs. Haven't heard a lot of his other albums for some reason.

Virus isn't even from Virtual XI, it was an extra on their Best of the Beast comp. If by "shocker" you mean it sucks, then just wait until you hear what's actually on VXI. St. Anger-tier stuff. I've always liked Virus tbh, by their standards it's a bit different for them.

Also

Killers = Piece of Mind = Sin After Sin = Stained Class >Powerslave = Sad Wings of Destiny > Iron Maiden = Number of the Beast > the rest of either band's discographies

Reactions: CiG
Virus isn't even from Virtual XI, it was an extra on their Best of the Beast comp. If by "shocker" you mean it sucks, then just wait until you hear what's actually on VXI. St. Anger-tier stuff. I've always liked Virus tbh, by their standards it's a bit different for them.

Ah right - I sort of had the feeling that might have been the case after I posted. Time and place counts for a lot and I'm sure if I heard 'Virus' again today I probably wouldn't mind it.

This is also the longest I've ever discussed least favourite Iron Maiden songs. hahaha.

I see we have started ranking children now!

Number of the Beast > Piece of Mind, Powerslave JP's first three albums > JP's next three albums No Prayer for the Dying, Fear of the Dark IM's first two albums > Screaming for Vengeance > Point of Entry, Defenders of the Faith > Blah, blah

Number of the Beast is truly one of metal's greatest albums. It really deserves all the praise it gets. Sad Wings of Destiny is probably the best Judas Priest album and doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves. All the albums I listed there range from being godly to at least very good (even Point of Entry). Both bands have made more than their share of godly tracks.

Two things of note: "Total Eclipse" from the Run to the Hills single and "Love Zone" from Ram it Down are little gems tucked away in each band's archives. Definitely worth seeking out.

Last edited:
If I bought a 3rd BD solo album it would be ToS. I used to have it a long time ago but traded away and haven't really missed it tbh. Never liked AoB.