Controversial opinions on metal

Havent thought really though of it before. A lot of albums from those bands since 97, and i rarley reach for them anyway but here goes nothing...

Endgame = Christ Illusion >>>>> United Abominations = World Painted Blood >> The System Has Failed > Thirteen >> Super Collider > The World Needs a Hero > God Hates Us All > Diabolus in Musica >> Risk

I dont consider Garage Inc. to be a "true" album, no reason to include it here. I haven't listende to St. Anger and Death Magnetic outside of a few tracks so i cant really rank them, but i didn thenk they sucked, especially what i heard from the former.

Oh and i dont listen to anthrax. I heard Worship Music at my neighbors house once and almost chucked his disc out the window.

Last edited:
Endgame = Christ Illusion >>>>> United Abominations = World Painted Blood >> The System Has Failed > Thirteen >> Super Collider > The World Needs a Hero > God Hates Us All > Diabolus in Musica >> Risk

Surprised to see The World Needs a Hero so low on your list. Below Super Collider is just plain wrong. I almost put it over Endgame. I'll give those Slayer albums a 2nd chance but I remember thinking meh. Of course I'm not a huge Slayer fan to begin with, I enjoy their live show though.

Megadeth's full-length discography, best to worst:

Rust in Peace
Peace Sells
So Far, So Good, So What
Killing is my Business
Countdown to Extinction
Cryptic Writings
Endgame
The World Needs a Hero
Youthanasia
United Abominations
Dystopia
The System Has Failed
Th1rt3en
Risk
Super Collider

My bad, that was supposed to be a equal sign.

But better than Endgame? no fucking way. It's by far the weakest of the four albums that came after Risk. It was their "return to sound"(yea right) album and has that watered down modern mellow thrash sound. Dread and The Fugitive Mind and Burning Bridges are the only tracks that i'd give 4/5 to. Rest of the songs there range from 2 to 3.5. Im not saying its a bad album, i enjoy all of their albums outside of Risk. But its definitely not a good one. I'm baffled as to how you can even compare it Endgame, which was their true return to sound album. It took them a few albums to get there .... only to ditch it again with Thirteen, which i think is actually a pretty good album for what it is(heavy/thrash).

I like The World Needs a Hero in a similar way to how I enjoy Cryptic Writings. It's like a good hard rock/heavy album or something, the songs are structured well and easy to listen to. Endgame has some brilliant thrashy moments but it also has rough/annoying moments. TWNaH is pretty consistent in its sound at least.

What about Return to Hangar? Disconnect? Silent Scorn? Recipe for Hate? all good tracks in addition to the 2 you listed

Last edited:
Man i had mixed up their last 2 albums for a sec there. It was supposed to be Thirteen >>TWNEAH > Super Collider. Yeah, SC is definitely thei second worst album.

Risk
being anywhere but last place is mindblowing, and completely wrong ... but whatever.

1 - Rust in Peace
2 - Killing is My Business... And Business is Good!
3 - So Far, So Good ... So What!
4 - Youthanasia
5 - Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?
6 - Countdown to Extinction
7 - Cryptic Writings
-----

8 - Endgame
9 - United Abominations
----

10 - The System Has Failed
11 - Thirteen
12 - The World Needs a Hero

----

13 - Super Collider

-----

14 - Risk

Easily. Like is said, Thirteen does heavy/thrash better than that album does watered down modern mellow thrash.

Return to Hanger 3.5/5
Recipe for Hate ... Warhorse 3/5

That album did not come out of my car for a good few months when it was released. And i still stand by my opinion. No creativity whatsoever on that album.

There's not a week that goes by without me listening to that album :kickass: Addicted to Chaos, Reckoning Day, Blood of Heroes and the title track are some of my fave Megadeth tracks. Not a single weak song on there.

Addicted to Chaos was the first song I wanted to learn on drums just because of the intro. Youthanasia is just an amazing record that goes under the radar for a lot of people. I still haven't learned the full song for AtC, but I use the intro as a warm up!

I still hold Nick Menza as one of my favorite drummers and underrated as a whole in the metal community. Dude is tight as fuck and is in Chris Poland's side project and actually has some killer chops.

@TechnicalBarbarity Did you listen to Dystopia yet?

I need to go through the entire discog again now, but this is how I ranked them way back when (and I'll be wrong because TechBarb says so..). Keep in mind the only 2 I didn't like are the last two records. That may change when I listen to them again though. I checked out Peace Sells again recently and it was better than I remember so that'll probably move up as well. Dystopia was recently added, but every other item in the list was as it was when I first made this list.

Megadeth
Rust in Peace (1990)

Megadeth
Countdown to Extinction (1992)

Megadeth
Youthanasia (1994)

Megadeth
Dystopia (2016)

Megadeth
The System Has Failed (2004)

Megadeth
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? (1986)

Megadeth
So Far, So Good... So What! (1988)

Megadeth
Endgame (2009)

Megadeth
Killing Is My Business......And Business Is Good! (1985)

Megadeth
The World Needs a Hero (2001)

Megadeth
Cryptic Writings (1997)

Megadeth
Risk (1999)

Megadeth
Th1rt3en (2011)

Megadeth
United Abominations (2007)

Last edited:
Megadeth is one of the most overrated bands that I know. I like some of their albums, but I can't possibly see how people can elevate them to where they do.

I'm very excited to listen to Dystopia today.

@The Ozzman

Okay, I listened to the album. I'm going to be up front and say there were a few guitar parts that I thought had some potential. Unfortunately, that's about all of the praise that I can give to the album.

The intro of "Conquer or Die" was my favorite part of the entire album without any contest. "Fatal Illusion" and that terrible "Poisonous Shadows" were my standout tracks in terms of nearly motivating me to quit listening to the album.

The production sounds too modern for my liking. Mustaine's vocals have a terrible production effect that makes them resemble a lot of modern rock bands. They're way too prominent on most of the songs for me to consider that a minor thing. I also found a lot of the lyrics to be shockingly edgy for a middle-aged man to be delivering with such deadpan seriousness. In fact, he was so serious that it often sounded like he didn't even really care about whatever he was saying.

The music itself had a few decent moments that were bogged down by chug and groove parts that killed all of the momentum. There wasn't enough good in comparison to the bad. It all sounded too modern metal for me, which didn't really surprise me based on some other recent Megadeth albums. I can't remember the track title, but one song had an absolutely stupid sounding intro that tried to be all ominous. Also, the actual album intro seemed totally out of place.

That's all.

Reactions: CiG
Oh, and it has a really dumb album cover, although the one with the skeleton bursting out of the person is dumber because the skeleton is so small.

Man i had mixed up their last 2 albums for a sec there. It was supposed to be Thirteen >>TWNEAH > Super Collider. Yeah, SC is definitely thei second worst album.

Risk
being anywhere but last place is mindblowing, and completely wrong ... but whatever.

1 - Rust in Peace
2 - Killing is My Business... And Business is Good!
3 - So Far, So Good ... So What!
4 - Youthanasia
5 - Peace Sells ... But Who's Buying?
6 - Countdown to Extinction
7 - Cryptic Writings
-----

8 - Endgame
9 - United Abominations
----

10 - The System Has Failed
11 - Thirteen
12 - The World Needs a Hero

----

13 - Super Collider

-----

14 - Risk

Everything is correct but no way Endgame is inferior to Cryptic Writings.

Also, some bad opinions here. Seriously, The World Needs A Hero over The System Has Failed? Do you really put Moto Psycho over Kick the Chair?

The production sounds too modern for my liking. Mustaine's vocals have a terrible production effect that makes them resemble a lot of modern rock bands. They're way too prominent on most of the songs for me to consider that a minor thing. I also found a lot of the lyrics to be shockingly edgy for a middle-aged man to be delivering with such deadpan seriousness. In fact, he was so serious that it often sounded like he didn't even really care about whatever he was saying.

This is also my gripe with the album. There is some quality guitar work by the new guy scattered around but that's all the album has for me.

@TechnicalBarbarity Did you listen to Dystopia yet?

I listened to the first two tracks yesterday. But that's about it. I liked the second track. I'll give it a more thorough listen tonight.

Also, some bad opinions here. Seriously, The World Needs A Hero over The System Has Failed? Do you really put Moto Psycho over Kick the Chair?

Yeah, moto psycho is definitely one of their worst tracks. Kick the Chair kicks ass.

Everything is correct but no way Endgame is inferior to Cryptic Writings.

I love Cryptic Writings, i think it's better than everything they've done since. On ly track on there that i would consider weak is Mastermind.

<3

Last edited:
Reactions: requiem