Controversial opinions on metal

His Majesty isn't a bad album, but I think it's funny that it's considered a classic in the genre when it has like one song with actual black metal riffs. Lustful Father almost sounds like a really simplified and necro Titan Force song or something.

Where did I say that specifically early Megadeth was overrated? Let me know. I said they were overrated in general. Their later music is quite warmly received for no real reason despite it often being quite questionable, this album included.

Also, no offense to you because you probably lack the capacity to do this yourself, but it's really easy for me to separate my favorite things from things that I think are more important and potentially better than them.

You said that they were an overrated band without qualifying that whatsoever, and considering that most of the praise they receive (ignoring rabid fanboys) is for just a couple of albums, it means you were either speaking of the band on the whole or you were being willfully obtuse.

What does importance/objective-superiority have to do with this?

What the fuck is meme-thrash?

Thrash praised enough times by the right people at the right time such that it catches on and everyone suddenly finds an impulse to praise it as well. Could also call it in-crowd thrash. People that like in-crowd/meme thrash are typically the first to accuse others of not really enjoying thrash, despite having no appreciation for the genre outside of the artists with cultural value. Technically this could apply to any sub-genre of metal, but because thrash lacks the cool-factor/edginess/outsider-approval of doom and black metal, it becomes one of the greatest victims of bandwagoning.

His Majesty isn't a bad album, but I think it's funny that it's considered a classic in the genre when it has like one song with actual black metal riffs. Lustful Father almost sounds like a really simplified and necro Titan Force song or something.

Probably why I love it so much, it's more of the 80's than it is the 90's, before there was really any such thing as a Black Metal riff.

Sounds stupid, like you're being a hipster or something. Besides, if Sabbat fans are disingenuous then what the fuck are Megadeth fans? They're one of the most popular, overly jizzed over Metal bands in existence. If Sabbat fans deserve that level of cynicism, Megadeth fans deserve a hailstorm of bullets.

I just like what I like, I don't feel the need to project intentions on other people.

Oh yeah and I'm pretty sure Omni already said she likes some of their older albums.

Thrash praised enough times by the right people at the right time such that it catches on and everyone suddenly finds an impulse to praise it as well. Could also call it in-crowd thrash. People that like in-crowd/meme thrash are typically the first to accuse others of not really enjoying thrash, despite having no appreciation for the genre outside of the artists with cultural value. Technically this could apply to any sub-genre of metal, but because thrash lacks the cool-factor/edginess/outsider-approval of doom and black metal, it becomes one of the greatest victims of bandwagoning.

Does Exumer count? Holy Terror? I would agree with those being your so-called 'meme thrash'

edit: posts moved from Trad Metal thread as it was getting off topic. This seemed like a logical place to move the posts.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiG
So "meme-thrash" is basically obscure metal that got popular because of the Internet age?

I'm guilty of it I guess, not that I care much because even the biggest thrash bands tend to be boring to me in large doses.

Are we talking about UK Sabbat or black thrash Sabbat? If the Asian band I don't feel like they qualify at all, they've been going strong for 30 years, they've always had their fan base.

Reactions: CiG
So "meme-thrash" is basically obscure metal that got popular because of the Internet age?

I'm guilty of it I guess, not that I care much because even the biggest thrash bands tend to be boring to me in large doses.

Are we talking about UK Sabbat or black thrash Sabbat? If the Asian band I don't feel like they qualify at all, they've been going strong for 30 years, they've always had their fan base.

I always think of the UK one.

@HamburgerBoy

I do like some of Megadeth's older albums.

As far as what favorite albums and best albums being separated means, it means that the top thrash metal albums that I chose are my favorites and not necessarily the ones that I think are the absolute best.

I still wouldn't put Megadeth in the top three best thrash metal bands by any stretch, and I would offer the counterargument that you tried to claim that Slayer doesn't have any consistent albums worthy of being considered for such a list in what you apparently consider to my an objective way. That's a far more grievous opinion if you ask me, considering that even the early Megadeth albums have obviously inconsistent quality and some blatant throwaway songs that don't offer much.

Also, you use "good riffs" to qualify what music is good a lot more often than you should. That's usually pretty much all that you ever offer as justification. Metal has more than rhythm guitar in it, last time that I checked.