Controversial opinions on metal

Of all the full lengths, this is my pick. I love this track especially.

The latest Varathron album 'Untrodden Corridors of Hades' is amazing too. The opening track is inspired genius. Such an evil feel, and that's something that is almost impossible to conjure in these days of gross devaluation of black metal currency due to inflation caused by the flooding of the market.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
The latest Varathron album 'Untrodden Corridors of Hades' is amazing too. The opening track is inspired genius. Such an evil feel, and that's something that is almost impossible to conjure in these days of gross devaluation of black metal currency due to inflation caused by the flooding of the market.

I'll have to check it out.

gotta say metallica is not really a band i'd mention sabbat as being overly similar to - i maybe could see it on dreamweaver, but history of a time to come? not really.

its way better than dreamweaver anyways

Half the riffs on History sound like a slightly-slowed down Impaler/Trapped Under Ice thing. Whatever band it's best compared to, it's dull Bay Area speed/thrash riffing out of 1983, but with songs twice as long as they need to be.

I actually think Dreamweaver is pretty decent, still a lot of generic riffs but there are a few songs (basically the Do Dark Horses Dream of Nightmares through How Have the Mighty Fallen run) that get close to having music to match the lyrics. Mourning Has Broken is probably my favorite Sabbat album instrumentally tbh, but the flaws on that one are pretty obvious and aren't saved by it.

So I am on my second run through of the new Megadeth album. I read some of the feedback from others a few pages back, so figured I would drop mine in there.

My take - I'm reallllly liking this one. Much more than any of their post-Youthanasia output ("my my my" opinion alert!). I came away with a lot of flashbacks to Rust in Peace and So Far, So Good, So What. It is indeed more polished sounding as some have noted. I also hear the effect or production wizardry with Mustaine's voice. I like it a lot (heavies up the songs) but I am curious how he is going to reproduce that live. I haven't liked much of his whiny voice in the latter years.

I like Kiko's guitar playing a lot in the Megadeth environment. Some may know his work with Angra. I've always appreciated his playing but it never really did much for me because I can't stand listening to Angra's vocalist. I don't know if he is trying on purpose, but I definitely had to catch myself a couple times while listening , thinking that Marty had just returned to the band.

All in all, love it. I'm half way through my second listen and it's better than the first. Chris Adler is doing a kick ass job on the drum work as well. The band sounds tough.

Early Varg is the best from the Norwegian scene. Love Nocturno Culto as well. Garm kills it on a lot of those records too. I've never been crazy about Abbath's vocals. There's a mechanical quality to his voice that has never sat quite right with me.

Reactions: requiem