Controversial opinions on metal

I like The Spell of Retribution. Though, there isn't an album from The Chasm I dislike. I like Deathcult the least after hearing all the albums..

Oh don't get me wrong, I still like The Spell... quite a bit, I just find it to be weaker than the other 4. I definitely think Farseeing is the better record since it contains stand out tracks like Callous Spectre, Structure of the Seance, and Arrival to Hopeless Shores. Fiery Rebirth and The Promised Ravage are the 2 tracks that bring it down for me.

I don't know how Deathcult could be anyone's least favourite, it's just so emotionally charged and mystical. A Portal to Nowhere especially is just mindbogglingly amazing.

Last edited:
I would probably rank TSoR last as far as The Chasm's full lengths go. Their first two are pretty hard to get into but the atmosphere saves them. Deathcult is their best and one of the best death metal albums ever.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
I remember trying to listen to chasm and it being utter shit but ill try it again, i was probably drunk

This is blasphemy to these ears! I would definitely recommend that you try and listen to them again. I'll recommend a song from each of their past 5 albums that I know are on YouTube you should try.
A Portal to Nowhere, Cosmic Landscapes of Sorrow, Procession to the Infraworld (not to be confused with the album of the same name, this is a song off Conjuration...), Fortress, and Entering a Superior Dimension.
Let me know what you think.

If I had to rank The Chasm's albums...

Deathcult For Eternity
Procession to the Infraworld
Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
From the Lost Years
Procreation of the Inner Temple
Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm
The Spell of Retribution

Still love them all, and the gaps between the latter four aren't great. Also ITP is a child and his opinions on bands like The Chasm should be ignored.

I love The Chasm but I really need to listen to them more often. I don't give them the attention that they deserve. I think that will change this year.

This is blasphemy to these ears! I would definitely recommend that you try and listen to them again. I'll recommend a song from each of their past 5 albums that I know are on YouTube you should try.
A Portal to Nowhere, Cosmic Landscapes of Sorrow, Procession to the Infraworld (not to be confused with the album of the same name, this is a song off Conjuration...), Fortress, and Entering a Superior Dimension.
Let me know what you think.
Cosmic landscapes of Sorrow was definitely my favorite, it was pretty fucking good

Reactions: Phylactery

Deathcult For Eternity
From the Lost Years
The Spell of Retribution

Still love them all, and the gaps between the latter four aren't great. Also ITP is a child and his opinions on bands like The Chasm should be ignored.

Seems like I need to give the first 2 more listens because my list of the others is identical to yours except I can't chose between Deathcult and Procession. I'm just really bad at being motivated to listen to albums I don't physically own and I've always thought the first 2 would be hard to track down but maybe I'm wrong.

Well he liked Cosmic Landscapes... which is one of my favourite tracks, so that's a start!

Also is there any news on a new The Chasm release? It's been over 6 years since Farseeing...
I did notice on metal-archives that Julio is no longer listed as a member.

Last edited:
I wouldn't count on it. I remember reading an interview Daniel Corchado did and he didn't seem to be too 'into' the whole death metal thing anymore. I also can't remember if the reason Julio left was due to medical issues or not, but I remember a member having some kind of bad liver (?) problems.

Earlier this year Daniel stated on his website that he's working on new material for The Chasm.

@Phylactery The first two albums were reissued fairly recently. I know From the Lost Years was limited to 500 and is sold out, but there's a copy on discogs which isn't going for too much. The debut should be easier to find.

Deathcult For Eternity
From the Lost Years
The Spell of Retribution

The Chasm is one of those bands that I try out every year and see if I can appreciate their sound. Just spun Deathcult and Procession, diggin' it. Thanks for reminding me gents and ladies.

Deathcult For Eternity
From the Lost Years
The Spell of Retribution

So when these guys are coming up with album titles do they put a whole bunch of 'metal' sounding words into a hat and pick out three or four and put them together? Or do these titles actually relate to a theme in the music/story? How the hell does one farsee the paranormal abysm? Is it when you look through a telescope at a distant hole in the ground full of ghosts?

*requiem wishes to point out that the above post is for novelty purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for a genuine reflection on metal or The Chasm.

I'm actually listening to 'Farseeing the Paranormal Abysm' right now and it's really quite interesting. I'll need more time though.

I would probably rank TSoR last as far as The Chasm's full lengths go. Their first two are pretty hard to get into but the atmosphere saves them. Deathcult is their best and one of the best death metal albums ever.

This. Fucking worship Farseeing and Conjuration as well.

Also, about the status of the band, as MP said, I guess they are working on new shit. Daniel is a recluse and Julio is the one with the kidney problems. For those of you who don't know, Corchado runs a record label called Lux Inframundis and has released several other projects. Acerus and Magnum Itiner Interius among them. Acerus has a new album coming out. They aren't special or anything, but some great old school heavy metal.

Reactions: Funerary_Doom