Controversial opinions on metal

My point was that extreme vocals are devoid of any melody or discernible pitch, and it is this feature that makes them comparable to un-pitched percussion instruments. Their primary function in the band is not to delivery a melodic line or a harmony to a melodic line, but they do maintain a rhythm. And why would you have a problem accepting this about them? That's just the musical nature of what they are.

Particularly, the vocals in the Arghoslent example are very rhythmic in relation to the band, as you can hear their beats line up with the hits of the bass and rhythm guitar.

I can't accept you calling extreme vocals a perscussive element because it isn't really something that you can say without being wrong. Also, all sounds, including percussion beats, have a pitch and frequency.

Yet often times it is clearly the case. And it isn't just my personal opinion, this is something many people who listen to extreme metal will tell you. In extreme metal the vocals often serve a very percussive role for the band. This is a fact. For some fans, this percussive element is part of the appeal.

What you mean is rhythmic, not percussive. Percussive means to create rhythm by hitting something and clearly that's not the case with vocals.

According to Merriam-Webster, percussive means "of or relating to a percussion instrument or to the sounds that a percussion instrument makes".

Reactions: RedStorm
Yes, and vocals are not in that category for obvious reasons.

Bass is also a rhythm instrument. Is it a form of percussion when used as intended? No.

There's nothing percussive about harsh vocals. Nothing.

Also if you don't like harsh vocals that's fine but trying to make out like they are somehow musically incorrect or redundant because they don't have any melodic aspect is just dumb.

Reactions: The Butt
I posted five songs where the vocals clearly had a discernable pattern that was beyond being a rhythmic element. Some of the songs even had verse-chorus song structures. I could post hundreds of songs if I felt like it, because it isn't an isolated thing. Harsh vocals are not a form of percussion.

You don't like them. Your reasoning in this topic is incorrect and that's just fact.

Reactions: The Butt
There's nothing percussive about harsh vocals. Nothing.

Also if you don't like harsh vocals that's fine but trying to make out like they are somehow musically incorrect or redundant because they don't have any melodic aspect is just dumb.
I'm afraid I just disagree, as I've already explained why.

All I've done is give rational reasons why I personally think harsh vocals ruin the sound of metal. You can disagree if you like, but it doesn't make any sense for you to irrationally deny the fact that extreme vocals are not melodic in nature. If you like them, great. But don't try to make it sound like they are somehow as melodic as clean vocals, because they're not. Again, I don't see why you wouldn't accept this. If you like harsh vocals for what they are, why try to argue that they are something that they're not?

I said that they often serve a percussive role in the band, and that they are comparable to the sound of percussion in that they do not carry a discernible melody. How is any of that wrong?

That isn't the way they are used in songs. That's why it's wrong.

Rhythmic singing or chanting and other rhythm elements that are not percussion have more in common with the way extreme vocals are used when not part of a defined verse or chorus used than percussion does. That's just reality. They aren't percussion and that isn't something that can be based on opinion.

Not carrying a discernable melody also doesn't make something a form of percussion.
But surely, you must be able to see why such a comparison is suitable, given that you agree that the vocals don't carry a discernible melody. It is much like the example of the cymbals that I brought up earlier.

So I think I'll just reiterate my point. It is due to the lack of melody in extreme metal vocals that makes me dislike them. I find them redundant because of this lack of melodic quality. I don't see how there's anything unreasonable about this position.

But surely, you must be able to see why such a comparison is suitable, given that you agree that the vocals don't carry a discernible melody. It is much like the example of the cymbals that I brought up earlier.

So I think I'll just reiterate my point. It is due to the lack of melody in extreme metal vocals that makes me dislike them. I find them redundant because of this lack of melodic quality. I don't see how there's anything unreasonable about this position.

Do you dislike instrumental metal because it lacks melodic vocals?

If you view harsh vocals as percussive then how does that detract from the music? It's just extra drums to you so just think of it as instrumental metal?

Sometimes only harsh vocals fit the music imo.

@GuiltySpawn

I don't see the comparison at all, but the way that you explained your opinion makes much more sense than the way that you did earlier. For me, there's much more to music than discernable vocal melodies.