Controversial opinions on metal

Thrash praised enough times by the right people at the right time such that it catches on and everyone suddenly finds an impulse to praise it as well. Could also call it in-crowd thrash. People that like in-crowd/meme thrash are typically the first to accuse others of not really enjoying thrash, despite having no appreciation for the genre outside of the artists with cultural value. Technically this could apply to any sub-genre of metal, but because thrash lacks the cool-factor/edginess/outsider-approval of doom and black metal, it becomes one of the greatest victims of bandwagoning.

.................. so it's thrash hamburgerboy doesn't like.

@HamburgerBoy

I do like some of Megadeth's older albums.

As far as what favorite albums and best albums being separated means, it means that the top thrash metal albums that I chose are my favorites and not necessarily the ones that I think are the absolute best.

I still wouldn't put Megadeth in the top three best thrash metal bands by any stretch, and I would offer the counterargument that you tried to claim that Slayer doesn't have any consistent albums worthy of being considered for such a list in what you apparently consider to my an objective way. That's a far more grievous opinion if you ask me, considering that even the early Megadeth albums have obviously inconsistent quality and some blatant throwaway songs that don't offer much.

Also, you use "good riffs" to qualify what music is good a lot more often than you should. That's usually pretty much all that you ever offer as justification. Metal has more than rhythm guitar in it, last time that I checked.

I already said that even Megadeth's best albums are highly inconsistent.

Feel free to provide an objective metric of what makes a particular thrash album superior to others, and why people are wrong to not include that particular objectively great album in their favorites list but while it's still OK for you to include mediocre, objectively-derivative albums in your own top 3.

Classic Slayer albums are very consistent. I don't need to make an objective list of how you define the quality of thrash because I'm not the one claiming that liking a specific album invalidates someone from having opinions on thrash metal. I don't subscribe to the same bullshit that you do.

Oh, and I challenge you to objectively prove that Heathen's debut is mediocre since that's your justification for even claiming that my opinion is invalid. I know that will never happen, so I'm not worried about your nearly constant intentional misinterpretation of every post on the site.

Reactions: CiG
.................. so it's thrash hamburgerboy doesn't like.

Nope, I love Holy Terror but they're still clearly in-crowd thrash. Opposite of that, I think Sodom is mostly crap but I can understand their popularity and admit that their appeal simply isn't my appeal. However, when you take a band like Sabbat filled with incredibly generic, repetitive, and Metallica-derived riffs, and find them universally praised among the same "lol Iced Earth is shit, muh-triplets" or "lol Zetro-dus is shit, muh-chugging" people, it shows that they appreciate Sabbat only because they were told to. (Or, maybe, they genuinely are big into story-telling and enjoy Sabbat purely for their lyrics, but I don't see many people admitting that, and regardless it means they don't actually care about the thrash itself.)

Classic Slayer albums are very consistent. I don't need to make an objective list of how you define the quality of thrash because I'm not the one claiming that liking a specific album invalidates someone from having opinions on thrash metal. I don't subscribe to the same bullshit that you do.

Oh, and I challenge you to objectively prove that Heathen's debut is mediocre since that's your justification for even claiming that my opinion is invalid. I know that will never happen, so I'm not worried about your nearly constant intentional misinterpretation of every post on the site.

o rly?

Anyone without at least one Slayer album out of the first three on their list should rethink their list.
It almost makes it seem like you don't actually like thrash metal when you talk like that.

I already said that even Megadeth's best albums are highly inconsistent.

Wrong. None of their earlier albums would fall under "highly inconsistent". Or even come close tbh. Especially RiP, which is masterpiece top to bottom. KIMB, SFSGSW! and Peace Sells only have one weak track each and they are the covers. So how in the world does that translate to "highly inconsistent"?:erk:

Nope, I love Holy Terror but they're still clearly in-crowd thrash. Opposite of that, I think Sodom is mostly crap but I can understand their popularity and admit that their appeal simply isn't my appeal. However, when you take a band like Sabbat filled with incredibly generic, repetitive, and Metallica-derived riffs, and find them universally praised among the same "lol Iced Earth is shit, muh-triplets" or "lol Zetro-dus is shit, muh-chugging" people, it shows that they appreciate Sabbat only because they were told to. (Or, maybe, they genuinely are big into story-telling and enjoy Sabbat purely for their lyrics, but I don't see many people admitting that, and regardless it means they don't actually care about the thrash itself.)

so let me get this straight, you genuinely love holy terror but most other people who love holy terror are being sheep who can't think for themselves, and you're basing this on some weird ass analogy between uk sabbat and iced earth/zetro-era exodus? i see, thanks for the, uh, clarification. i think you've just got a superiority complex and assume the worst of people for no good reason. have you considered that rather than parroting each other's viewpoints a lot of these people just have shitty (to your mind anyway) taste? i think the appeal of uk sabbat is pretty obvious, if a bit shallow. also, the lyrics are what nearly everyone talks about the most AFAIK--they're clearly a big part of the sabbat experience.

Reactions: The Butt and CiG
so let me get this straight, you genuinely love holy terror but most other people who love holy terror are being sheep who can't think for themselves, and you're basing this on some weird ass analogy between uk sabbat and iced earth/zetro-era exodus? i see, thanks for the, uh, clarification. i think you've just got a superiority complex and assume the worst of people for no good reason. have you considered that rather than parroting each other's viewpoints a lot of these people just have shitty (to your mind anyway) taste? i think the appeal of uk sabbat is pretty obvious, if a bit shallow. also, the lyrics are what nearly everyone talks about the most AFAIK--they're clearly a big part of the sabbat experience.

It's a case-by-case thing. I know a lot of people love those bands genuinely. For the try-hards that tell other people that they don't actually like thrash, it's obvious they appreciate the bands for their own image.

gotta say metallica is not really a band i'd mention sabbat as being overly similar to - i maybe could see it on dreamweaver, but history of a time to come? not really.

its way better than dreamweaver anyways

There's not a week that goes by without me listening to that album :kickass: Addicted to Chaos, Reckoning Day, Blood of Heroes and the title track are some of my fave Megadeth tracks. Not a single weak song on there.

Agree 100%. In fact, 'Youthanasia' is my favourite Megadeth album even above and beyond 'Rust in Piece'. I love the epic feel of 'Youthanasia'. The production and style of riffs are incredible, and the choruses - oh the choruses. Mustaine nailed them in a way that he hasn't been able to before or since. The title track, as well, is one of my favourite songs.

1. Youthanasia
2. Rust in Piece
3. Countdown to Extinction
4. So Far So Good So What
5. Cryptic Writings (underrated)
6. Peace Sells Who's Buying (overrated)
7. The System Has Failed
8. Killing is my Business

.... the rest.... The last handful of Megadeth albums are all a bit bland or something - I'm not sure. Although Dystopia seems alright and I need to give it more listens.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity