Controversial opinions on metal

Having listened to Death's album Human recently, my impression of the band is that they're completely unremarkable. They're not especially heavy, the riffs aren't that catchy, and they're pretty rhythmically flat.

I know I should probably listen to a few other Death albums before dismissing them entirely, but since so many people claim Human is their best one, I figured that gives me enough justification to reign in my snobbery upon them.

I like the early Death albums the most... the first three... the really thrashy death metal sound. Leprosy is especially good. The latter albums are good but honestly I don't love them or anything. If you haven't heard the first 3 discs give those a few spins before forming a concrete opinion of them... the style is quite different than the later albums.

Devin Townsend is one of the greatest musicians to grace the world of metal since Daniel Gildenlow formed his first band, Reality, in 1984.

I don't give a damn about Daniel Gildenlöw, but Devin Townsend is a fucking genius. I like pretty much anything I've heard involving him, including SYL.

I like the early Death albums the most... the first three... the really thrashy death metal sound. Leprosy is especially good. The latter albums are good but honestly I don't love them or anything. If you haven't heard the first 3 discs give those a few spins before forming a concrete opinion of them... the style is quite different than the later albums.

The three first albums are indeed good, but not my favourite by Death. I have all of their albums, Chuck was a fucking great musician.

IMO their best albums are Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic. Human would be the third (fucking all-stars line-up - Chuck, Paul Masvidal, Steve DiGiorgio and Sean Reinert).

For those who don't like the first albums, which sound very raw, ITP and Symbolic are the best shot :kickass:

The New Black is more melodic, and perhaps a bit more accessible than the other SYL albums. It's probably my least favourite, though Wrong Side, the title track and Almost Again are great tracks. You should try Alien or City, but if you didn't like The New Black, chances are you won't like those either.

Some of his other stuff though, is very different from SYL, and some of the most interesting progressive metal you'll come upon. Try Terria and Accelerated Evolution.

Some of his other stuff though, is very different from SYL, and some of the most interesting progressive metal you'll come upon. Try Terria and Accelerated Evolution.

I will. I don't like to say a band / musician sucks before really checking the material. His only work I got to know was SYL, and I didn't like it. Doesn't mean his other projects aren't good, though.

Alien is a terrible album. The first 5 tracks are solid, but after that it degenerates into ambient crap.

The Sound of Perseverance is one of the best metal albums ever

Yea, the thing is that he isn't into old-school death metal at all,
so I'm not sure that's a good recommendation. He likes Blessed are the Sick, but it doesn't sound like a regular OSDM album , production-wise anyway. You know,the filthy compressed abrasive
and dark sound.

I'd understand if you're talking about SYL, but the world he has done under either Ocean Machine, Devin Townsend, or The Devin Townsend Band is absolutely amazing. Terria was an early favorite of mine when I got into metal, and it still maintains every bit of greatness that it had back then. Fantastic album.

Accelerated Evolution and the Ocean Machine album are my favorite Hevy Devy works. And I must agree, his solo material is way better than SYL...even though I think Ziltoid is a horrible and obnoxious album.

Alien is a terrible album. The first 5 tracks are solid, but after that it degenerates into ambient crap.

It's a bit odd, and maybe not for everyone.

Ziltoid sounds a bit too much like SYL, without the insanity that makes SYL fun. Still a few decent tracks on that album though.

you know what's weird. ever since i started buying cd's I hate downloaders. i hated that guy who said he has 150gigs of music downloaded. what have you ppl done to me :(

I've become the same way. Metal has made me such a cynical bastard.