Controversial opinions on metal

The black album is 100% heavy metal.

Nitro's O.F.R. album kicks major fucking ass and I'll strike down anyone who disagrees. Jim Gillette's vocals are insane.

Iron Maiden is somewhat overrated, but they're still awesome.

Most classic rock is better than most metal after 1990.

Ozzy had a great voice in the 70's, and his work with Sabbath is much better than Dio's.

I take Manowar's music and message VERY seriously, and they ain't no fucking joke. DEATH TO FALSE METAL!!!

Nitro's O.F.R. album kicks major fucking ass and I'll strike down anyone who disagrees. Jim Gillette's vocals are insane.

Ozzy had a great voice in the 70's, and his work with Sabbath is much better than Dio's.

I take Manowar's music and message VERY seriously, and they ain't no fucking joke. DEATH TO FALSE METAL!!!

Go away.

Reactions: The Butt

yes, idk, yes, no, yes, yes

Who would fucking dislike the opening song on Drawing though. I admit the end of that album is kinda silly.

Engram is the best black metal album released after the 1990s. I'm at least certain of that. I'm pretty sure that everyone who likes black metal but thinks Beherit is bad likes music that borrows ideas from them, so I can't really take seriously.

Reactions: The Butt
I don't think any song on DDTM is silly, atleast not really sillier than any other on the album. I think it is quite consistent and the atmosphere and darkness on it is perfect and Holocaustos vocals are extremely good.

I admit that I have listened to Engram less than I would have liked, but I can't see myself liking it more. That has more to do with DDTM being awsome than there being anything wrong with Engram.

And Creed of Iron and Weltanchauung are better 00-albums imo. :)

Beherit is good for their groves, but that's just about it. I get the appeal, sorta, but I can't really only listen to a band because I like just one specific part in their songs.

Some death metal isn't bad. Death is good. Entombed is alright. Arghoslent is decent. Dismember is decent. Desultory is alright.

Engram is better than Drawing Down the Moon.

I've always liked some songs on DDtM but others come across as a bit silly and not so well thought out. Engram has a more singular vision and is better for it imo.

Engram has such a full and crushing tone to it that not many other bands can compete with. As much as I like the ominous atmosphere and ritualistic feel of DDtM, I feel like Engram excels beyond it with better compositions and less repetition. I dont think id like to live without either one though.

Reactions: Phylactery

yes, idk, no they're just overrated, hell to the no, eh they're both good, no they're terrible cheese

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
I have already noticed that you judge music only by the riff structure and that you analyse riff by riff in an album and assess influences of each of the riffs and stuff, but don't you think it's a bit one-dimensional? Maybe there's more to music?

Sure there's more to music than that, but black metal doesn't really win on other qualities either. Certainly not authenticity, the rare Dead and such aside.

Way to over-think something that's common thoughout virtually every one of metal and punk's sub-genres. The two have an almost interchangeable history in terms of songwriting.

Of course, I wouldn't bash any metal album simply for taking significant influence from a hardcore punk album. I'm saying that Quorthon has songs that do virtually nothing more than take very basic hardcore riffs, coat them in shit production, and goblin-squeak about Satan over them. Quorthon was a hack with negligible musical innovation contributed to the black metal genre.

well duh.

More than "somewhat" overrated, but yea still a good band.

no

I dont know about his voice being great, but i loved it. And yes his BS work is much better than Dio Sabbath.

lol, man-thongs are the first thing i think of when i hear manowar.

same. apart from the not so great songs, of which there are a few.

nothing overrated about pre-bruce maiden, either, and i think some people probably underrate bruce-era maiden around here. the likes of PIECE OF MIND and POWERSLAVE may not be best ever shit but they're good albums. i probably prefer MASTER OF DISGUISE in that style though.