Controversial opinions on metal

I have no idea if this is even controversial, and this is the first time I've thought about it since listening to it so it's probably way old news, but lantlos - melting sun was fucking awful. Oh so disappointing. I loved .neon so much. Like next-level awful.

Analyzing music based on only one factor in general is pretty shallow. But analyzing it based on how heavy it is, is extra dudebro-esque.

Never said I judged bands based on only 1 factor. Just that by this particular metric, they are better than most trad doom. There are of course other factors.

I don't think that either band is great, but each has some music that I like. Both bands influenced quite a few good metal bands too. That's about the extent of my interest in them.

Aerosmith is another band that I lump into the same category.

I think that the early music by all three is all comparable in quality. Early albums by all three bands have a few songs that I think are pretty good and a bunch of pretty standard hard rock that's listenable without being amazing.

I won't defend later Aerosmith because it's atrociously bad.

AC/DC or rather "how to make a 40 year career with one riff and drum pattern".
Have you listened to AC/DC? It's way more than one riff. The drum pattern? Yes, it's the same, borderline identical 4/4 beat over and over. But you'd have to be tone deaf to call it just one riff. I'm also sick of the people who claim AC/DC songs stick to the same 3 chords and nothing else. I'm not saying they're masters of a bajillion different chords, but you're full of shit if you think it's just three chords. The title track of For Those About Rock has nine different chords for instance.

Angus and Malcolm are two of rock's finest guitarists as well. Malcolm is a human metronome in addition to generating an incredible amount of riffs and playing with some of the most impressive sense of groove and phrasing I've ever seen. Angus is a master of 12 bar blues, also possesses an immense sense of phrasing, and has some of the meanest vibrato you can find.

Reactions: suckerleaf
Adding to that Bon and Brian are also top-tier vocalists. Both have an expansive 3 octave, 4 note vocal range, Bon's being A2-E6, Brian's being D2-A5. Bon had a helium tenor with a great, gritty timbre and tonality, something he only lost at the outermost reaches of his fantastic vocal range (usually around the the upper second and fifth octaves). He had a similar ability to Steve Grimmett in terms of how seamlessly and agilely he could glide to larynx-shattering pitches without losing much, if any, of his resonance, volume, grit, or power. Brian is feral beast when he's at the top of his vocal game. Man can howl the upper fifth octave loud enough to be heard in the the presence of a fully cranked AC/DC, and he's got an exceptional, ultra-manly low range that even Bon didn't possess. He doesn't just hit these notes, he attacks them. Most singers would shit enough bricks to contruct and reconstruct all of NYC four times over at the prospect of singing, say, Snowballed, Let Me Put My Love Into You, or Shoot To Thrill with even 3/4 the conviction, grit, tonal uniqueness, and power that Johnson pulled them of with.