Controversial opinions on metal

Have you listened to AC/DC? It's way more than one riff. The drum pattern? Yes, it's the same, borderline identical 4/4 beat over and over. But you'd have to be tone deaf to call it just one riff. I'm also sick of the people who claim AC/DC songs stick to the same 3 chords and nothing else. I'm not saying they're masters of a bajillion different chords, but you're full of shit if you think it's just three chords. The title track of For Those About Rock has nine different chords for instance.

It was a joke, I like several AC/DC songs but many of their tracks are similar to each other, it happens especially on albums like Fly on the Wall or For Those About to Rock (except for the title track which is great indeed).

And please restrict the number of words you use for writing a single message. Most of your posts are tl;dr even for me, and I love reading.

Pardon me, I was unaware it was a joke. My apologies. Their tracks can repeat themselves, and Fly On The Wall is a good example, but For Those About To Rock? Not really. Blow Up Your Video or Rock Or Bust is the second example you're looking for I think. If I can be more succinct, I will do so wherever possible. However, if I feel the length of my explication or message is justified (and serves a necessary part in conveying my message), I'm not going to just cater to those who I'm speaking towards, but can't be bothered to read it for no particular reason.

Reactions: Baroque
Your mentioning of nu-metal reminded me, since I remember you being one of the few posters who liked Slipknot, if memory serves. I was known by the moniker of "Humanist Misanthrope" for the majority of my tenure there.

Ranking of each genre's overall metalness in order from most to least:

Trad metal
Power metal
Thrash metal = death metal
Doom metal
Groove metal
Non-prefixed black metal
Prog metal
Metalcore
Alternative metal = nu metal
Goth metal = folk metal
Prefixed black metal

Ranking of each genre's overall metalness in order from most to least:

Trad metal
Power metal
Thrash metal = death metal
Doom metal
Groove metal
Non-prefixed black metal
Prog metal
Metalcore
Alternative metal = nu metal
Goth metal = folk metal
Prefixed black metal

I'd say a lot of extreme metal has surpassed trad metal in terms of metalness. It's like evolution.

I'd swap thrash metal = death metal with doom metal personally.

I'd say a lot of extreme metal has surpassed trad metal in terms of metalness. It's like evolution.

Not sure that really makes sense. You don't take metal in some purest form and add grindcore, hardcore punk, gothic rock or what-have-you and make it more metal. After all he's talking about metalness.

Trad metal is the truest and purest expression of metal ethos. No hardcore, no bullshit. There is nothing more metal than an album like Stained Class or Piece of Mind.

I'd agree with doom metal over thrash and death if there weren't so many polluting stoner and prefixed xxtreem doom bands these days. Obvs Sabbath, Candlemass, Trouble, Pentagram, etc at their respective peaks are just as pure as anything else.