Controversial opinions on metal

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here, but Hamburgerboy's list was based purely on the "metalness" of each genre. How can something that is mixed with genres outside of metal be more metal than something that is purely metal?

Also black metal isn't a genre I typically associate with heaviness, there are some examples where it can be heavy of course, but I don't think Drudkh or Moonsorrow are it.

Reactions: CiG
My list wasn't supposed to indicate heaviness; most death metal is obviously heavier than most trad metal.

No fucking way Metalcore bands are more metal than Type O Negative. Wrong.

I generally try to avoid listening to Type O Negative so maybe they're an exception. I was thinking more along the lines of the typical late 90s/2000s Century Media-signed death-metal-gone-goth band, like Tiamat or Anathema or someshit, which is basically The Sisters of Mercy worship with heavier distortion. Gothenburg-derived "metalcore" and early NYHC-derived metalcore are far more metal than that.

Hey now, watch it with the prefixed black metal there. You're definitely not wrong in some cases, but you're very wrong in others. Prefixed black metal is probably one of the broadest genres since BM mixes so well with so many other genres, in varying proportions, levels of heaviness, etc.

It mixes well only because a lot of prefixed black metal barely even contains metal riffs. The best explanation I've read is that black metal is often like a blank canvas that any kind of image can be projected onto.

Reactions: CiG
Not mutually exclusive, but certainly still individual terms. There is a lot of power metal that I would say isn't particularly heavy, but is still undoubtedly metal (e.g. the first two Keeper of the Seven Keys albums) in that it predominately uses metal riffs, metal themes, and lacks non-metal influences (aside from neoclassical stuff which doesn't even really count).

Likewise, there is a ton of super-heavy music without the slightest metal influence (see: a lot of industrial, "No Wave", plenty of classical, etc).

Reactions: Omni and CiG
Aside from the first two Korn albums, Mudvayne's MD50, maybe early Slipknot (need to listen to them properly), and some other stuff that is pretty gosh darn good metal.

Reactions: Satanstoenail
I'm not taking issue with the fact that HB's list is based on "metalness", I just find his ordering very suspect.

Only prefixed black metal. I put actual black metal over even prog metal, and I consider myself a fan of prog metal.

Yeah how did you even reach that conclusion, considering metalcore is a form of hardcore music, not metal. Is it because it has the word "metal" in it or something?

Edit:
Only prefixed black metal. I put actual black metal over even prog metal, and I consider myself a fan of prog metal.

My bad. I misread your original post. Prefixed as in second wave styled black metal, right?

Yeah how did you even reach that conclusion, considering metalcore is a form of hardcore music, not metal. Is it because it has the word "metal" in it or something?

Metalcore is not only a form of hardcore music.

That song above is full of metal riffs. More metal riffs than what a lot of nowadays black metal plays.