Controversial opinions on metal

I'm fine with that, I was trying to be non-confrontational because if I lumped all black metal together it would have come out much lower. If you want a more thorough breakdown...

Trad metal = trad/power metal = epic doom metal = trad doom metal = speed metal = trad/power metal that is progressive
Euro-power proper = first-wave black metal = Bay Area thrash = death/thrash = OSDM (and all tech variants thereof)
Groove metal = thrashy Gothernburg melodeath = overtly melodic Gothenburg melodeath = Gothenburg-derived metalcore = crossover thrash
Stoner doom = NYHC-derived metalcore
Second-wave Norwegian black metal proper
The average pre-Dream Theater prog metal
The average post-Dream Theater prog metal
Funeral doom, plus probably other shit I don't care about that I'm forgetting
Alternative metal = nu metal
Stoner rock = grunge = hard rock
Goth metal = folk metal = symphonic black metal
Metalcore that isn't remotely metal
Depressive suicidal black metal
Black ambient

Reactions: CiG
I'm fine with that, I was trying to be non-confrontational because if I lumped all black metal together it would have come out much lower. If you want a more thorough breakdown...

Trad metal = trad/power metal = epic doom metal = trad doom metal = speed metal = trad/power metal that is progressive
Euro-power proper = first-wave black metal = Bay Area thrash = death/thrash = OSDM (and all tech variants thereof)
Groove metal = thrashy Gothernburg melodeath = overtly melodic Gothenburg melodeath = Gothenburg-derived metalcore = crossover thrash
Black ambient

In all honesty I have no problem with this.

Fuck DSBM.

Reactions: Slayed Necros
Nice opinion, too bad it's irrelevant to this highly rigorous analysis of metal sub-genres by metalness.

brutal death, slam death, deathcore and grindcore are missing

I guess all of those would be on tiers two or three.

EDIT: I forgot flower metal too, some of which would be goth/folk metal tier, others would be maybe as high as tier three.

Grindcore isn't metal.
Agreed. Not to say it's bad but it's got a lot more punk influence in my opinion. Although I suppose it's a melting pot of genres such as industrial, noise, thrash metal and hardcore punk/crust punk. Some bands definitely lean more towards metal than punk, but maybe that's where the deathgrind label comes in. Maybe it's neither, maybe grindcore is a genre of it's own?
HOWEVER I'd put it on the list because it's still had a huge influence on the metal genre, and so many people see it as metal that you might as well.

Grindcore to me is hardcore punk on steroids. That's what it always has sounded like to me. How someone who likes metal or hardcore punk doesn't like grindcore is beyond me though.

Reactions: Burzum_Maiden
Grindcore to me is hardcore punk on steroids. That's what it always has sounded like to me. How someone who likes metal or hardcore punk doesn't like grindcore is beyond me though.
I guess grindcore kind of blends the lines a bit. It's a bit of everything that's extreme really. I agree with you that it's like a more aggressive form of hardcore, but I can see why people say otherwise.

Is there decent grindcore beyond Napalm Death and Terrorizer?

Black ambient

I don't usually use the term 'autism' or 'autist', but damn does that post fit the bill

Last edited:
Is there decent grindcore beyond Napalm Death and Terrorizer?
Assuck. The Kill. Repulsion. Captain Cleanoff. Gadget. Nasum. Rotting Sound. Lock Up. Trap Them. Dead in The Dirt. Pig Destroyer. Discordance Axis. Insect Warfare. Death Toll 80K. P.LF. Some decent bands around.

Yeah lots of grindcore bands are heavily influenced by death metal but you can have grindcore without much real death metal influence. Some grind bands go with the screaming vocals and sound nothing like death metal, and some bands go the Napalm Death / deathgrind thing.