Controversial opinions on metal

Your reply means nothing as well since I can use the same argument back: just because some who claim to be "metalheads" like it doesn't make it metal
Except that isn't a claim I ever made. My point was merely that people's opinions of its quality or desire to be disassociated from it doesn't disqualify it from being metal.

Reactions: CiG
some very good answers below ... i suggest you look through it, mr lovecraft.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110308144042AA1FmCX
Read through several answers, there's one guy who does nothing but claim that because things get relabeled over time and in hindsight, we can now "properly" reclassify glam metal as not being metal. However to do so he'd have to deliberately ignore all the sonic trappings that verifiably make glam metal, metal. It shares all the elemental facets of basic traditional metal, but with notable hard rock and punk rock facets incorporated to give it a poppier appeal. The guitar playing, bass playing, and vocals are sonically consistent with trad metal, with poppy flourishes.

Reactions: The Butt
Read through several answers, there's one guy who does nothing but claim that because things get relabeled over time and in hindsight, we can now "properly" reclassify glam metal as not being metal. However to do so he'd have to deliberately ignore all the sonic trappings that verifiably make glam metal, metal. It shares all the elemental facets of basic traditional metal, but with notable hard rock and punk rock facets incorporated to give it a poppier appeal. The guitar playing, bass playing, and vocals are sonically consistent with trad metal, with poppy flourishes.

It was metal dumbed down, rebranded and made radio friendly to sell to teenage girls. Totally bastardized and mixed with rock and pop. To the point it's not metal anymore.

Songs like "Cum on feel the noize" and "black sabbath" have basically nothing in common other than distorted guitar

And it is telling that many metalheads distanced themselves from it. Next you'll be telling me stuff like limp bizkit is metal even though most of the metal community rejected it. It's not enough to just have a distorted guitar

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
Trad metal with prominent hard rock and punk influences for the purpose of producing a poppier sensibility is still metal. No matter how much you whinge about it "bastardizing" it. It's also incredibly telling that you selectively chose Cum On Feel The Noize to make your point. Meanwhile, take W.A.S.P.'s output for example, clearly metal, but with poppy influences. Same with bands like Mr. Big, who, by the way, were intensely technical and virtuosic in their playing. And, yes, Limp Bizkit, as much as I loathe them, are in fact metal. They're rap metal and nu metal, and clearly fit those definitions. Whether or not the community at large enjoyed them or not is immaterial.

Which is why I exchanged it for the output of W.A.S.P. and Mr. Big, thus rendering the point to no longer stand. Twisted Sister had a good selection of metal songs as well.

I don't make a habit of listening to any of this style so I don't know wasp's music, but they're not listed as glam pal

You mean mr. Big who wrote "to be with you " and "wild world"? That's a metal band to you?

Isn't listed as glam by who? The encephalitic twits at Encyclopedia Metallum? W.A.S.P.'s 80's output is unequivocally glam, particularly the first three to four records.
image.jpg
Mr. Big in their earliest days were in fact a metal band, of course once they started dropping records they were certainly hard rock.

resorting to a Wikipedia article for one band and mr big's garage days is not exactly making a case for glam metal's existence in my mind. You'll have to show me some musical examples that actually sound metal and glam at the same time. Even if the genre exists, it's minor and not the majority of glam.

The wasp one is a decent example. Sounds like bastardized Judas Priest but it is metal. Again not listed as glam by metallum, the chorus possibly I guess. The dokken song sounds more like a rush rip off than genuine metal though.

Also this whole wasp thing is a smokescreen to all of the other bands we were talking about that were highly questionable

I've heard that motley crue song dozens of times it's clearly rock in my mind.

Last edited:
Paris Is Burning? A Rush ripoff? Are we even listening to the same song? And it's definitely metal, and it's definitely glam. I messed up on the Mötley Crüe link, so listen to that one as well. This W.A.S.P. discussion isn't a smokescreen at all, I mentioned them because they're a perfect instance of a glam metal band. If you want to talk other bands, just list them off and we can get cracking.