Controversial opinions on metal

Glam rock is the butt of jokes to this day, and there was a huge counter movement in the metal community back then to separate themselves from glam..

There was also a huge counter movement against technical death metal and symphonic black metal. That must mean technical death metal and symphonic black metal aren't actually metal.

Makes sense, after all both genres do suck and therefore aren't metal because I said so and muh feelz.

Hairdryer soldiers marching out to war
Can't you see yourself, you're such a bore
Why don't you all just lie down and die?
The world's a mess and you're the reason why!

Reactions: CiG
There was also a huge counter movement against technical death metal and symphonic black metal. That must mean technical death metal and symphonic black metal aren't actually metal.

Makes sense, after all both genres do suck and therefore aren't metal because I said so and muh feelz.

Symphonic Black Metal and Technical Death Metal divide opinion, but their fan bases are still clearly metal heads who listen to a lot of other metal music. It's just that not all metal heads like those two genres.

With Glam Metal/Hair Metal it's a different story though. The Limp Bizkit comparison is an apt one - if you checked a Nu Metal fan's ipod, you probably wouldn't find much actual metal on there. Likewise with a Motley Crue fan. Neither Nu Metal or Glam are valued by Metal's fan base, and neither has had or will have any real impact on the direction of the genre as a whole. They were spawned by metal, but not of metal.

Metalcore on the other hand...

My iPod is filled with Enya, Loreena McKennitt, film scores and folk music. Pointless, doesn't count for anything.

Happy to see people debate whether glam metal is genuine metal, but that line of argument is beyond retarded.

My iPod is filled with Enya, Loreena McKennitt, film scores and folk music. Pointless, doesn't count for anything.

Happy to see people debate whether glam metal is genuine metal, but that line of argument is beyond retarded.

Mine's got a ton of Electronic music on it, but no one looking at either is going to debate that we also listen to a lot of metal.

You'll probably find more people with Sarcofago and Enya on their iPods than Sarcofago and Motley Crue.

I'd say glam metal is metal but I don't care for it and say that I prefer glam rock. That said I will make the controversial opinion and say that not only do I prefer glam rock to glam metal but I prefer David Bowie to any metal band including Sabbath and Priest. Also The man who sold the world which is considered by some as the first glam rock album actually has that darker Sabbath sound in comparison to 80s glam metal. This song in particular sounds a lot like Sabbath though I've no clue if David Bowie was in anyway influenced by them at this point.

I think a lot of 'older' or trad metal gets thrown into the rock category when it shouldn't simply because it lacks the obnoxious brutality that's become so much more the norm in metal today. If you don't have a healthy appreciation of various genres, you're going to have a more rigid idea of what goes where, with a disregard for the nuances which actually comprise sub genres.

Make no mistake, the argument was stupid and glam metal is most certainly metal. I think a good comparison is why Alice in Chains is NOT metal. A lot of glam has elements AIC lacks,and those distinctively are what's necessary for the title.