Controversial opinions on metal

I prefer David Bowie to any metal band including Sabbath

I'd say at their best Bowie and Sabbath are equal but Bowie wins purely on having more great albums

Facepalm_Emoji_20px_zpskj3qygj9.png

Reactions: Baroque
Well, they aren't good. But yeah I guess they are metal.

Can something be excluded from being metal just for being bad?
Whether or not they're good is entirely subjective, I have no problem with you saying they suck, that's your taste. I however enjoy them quite a bit. And no, the perceived quality of a piece of music cannot alter its genre, that's autistic. I hate Korn like I hate the plague, but they're definitely still a metal band.

Except for maybe some Melvins-y stuff on the first album, Nirvana is not remotely metal. Has nothing to do with heaviness or anything, but rather that they were simply derived from punk music. Even the poppiest hair metal bands have more in common with metal than Nirvana does.

Yeah Nirvana and Pearl Jam represent the less metal influenced side of Grunge, although Bleach does have some cool riffs on it. Skin Yard and Gruntruck are probably the most obviously metal bands of the scene, but their songwriting is a little repetitive.

Tad is pretty badass:

Reactions: CiG
Except for maybe some Melvins-y stuff on the first album, Nirvana is not remotely metal. Has nothing to do with heaviness or anything, but rather that they were simply derived from punk music. Even the poppiest hair metal bands have more in common with metal than Nirvana does.

I dont think anyone here said they're a metal band.

but anyway, plenty of metal was derived form punk you twat.

Also, they have a SHIT LOAD of tracks that could very easily be classified as metal, on just about all of their albums.
Even the poppiest hair metal bands have more in common with metal than Nirvana does

i know you love to hate on the band every chance you get, but you are honestly out of your fucking mind.

Plenty of metal was influenced by punk, but not derived from it. Most of the early thrash bands were about 90% NWOBHM, 10% hardcore. With Nirvana, it's more like half punk, half indie, with a small portion of the punk featuring some metal influence (bands like Melvins, Celtic Frost, maybe a couple others).

I don't hate on Nirvana at all bro, is this a sensitive issue for you? Show me a single metal song on In Utero.

You don't hate nirvana? Do you honestly go back on just about everything you say? This has become a trend with you. I've seen you shit on the band(and grunge altogether) countless times here as if Kurt Cobain personally plugged your dads ass or something.

Anyway, there's plenty of metal scattered all throughout that album. Maybe you should go back and listen to it again. For example, the chorus on Heart Shaped Box alone is heavier and more metal than anything kiss, motley crue or any of those garbage pop rock bands have ever done.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was one of my favorite songs as a kid, and I liked the other songs I knew from the radio as well. It took me a while to actually get around to listening to their full albums, but I'm pretty sure I've never hated on Nirvana.

lmao @ Heart-Shaped Box being more metal than Live Wire or The Oath.

Man, are you going to make me go back and find your posts again? Or is it maybe you were shitting on grunge but not nirvana? I'm not sure but it was something along those lines.

Most of the early thrash bands were about 90% NWOBHM, 10% hardcore.

Oh yes, because we all know that KIMB, KEA, Show No Mercy etc are 90% NWOBHM.
Facepalm_Emoji_20px_zpskj3qygj9.png
out of your fuckin' mind bro.

Go ahead. I've always said that grunge and pop punk on the radio (ROCK 105.3) was one of my favorite things as a kid.

I was talking about influence, in case it wasn't obvious. I'm saying that the predominant influences in the early bands were from Venom, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (not NWOBHM in case I have to point that out), Diamond Head, Holocaust, etc, with some musicians (Hanneman, Holt, Hammett) also influenced by hardcore punk, but punk riffing is minor at best in the early thrash albums.

Thanks for this argument btw, just did an ego search involving my early musical preferences mentioned on other forums and found this old post from when I was 12 years old:

I prefer Heavy Metal...

Metallica
Megadeath
Guns n' Roses
DIO

But seriously... I like gaming music the most... I fall to sleep with the Deus Ex soundtrack blaring loud... I daydream listening to Kirby or Mario lcassic songs...(as in the NES or SNES)... and Marathon 1 music was GREAT! I have the cd... so I can listen to that... but I lost the cd-key :'(...

Kirby fuck yeah. This also settles conclusively whether or not GnR were metal.