Controversial opinions on metal

-All Black Sabbath puts me to sleep
-Number of the Beast is the only album after Killers I can listen to all the way through, Bruce sounds terrible to me most of the time
-Brutal Death and Grindcore are nothing but noise
-I hate Anthrax (although that's probably not controversial, if it is, then it shouldn't be)
-I have yet heard a good Dio album (I'm talking about Dio personally, that includes his Sabbath stuff). Although his Rainbow stint was decent
-I don't like the Black Album, but I thought St. Anger was good

Kill yourself.

Well I own DEI, Chaosphere, and Nothing. Of those three DEI is my favorite so...yeah.

edit: Was thinking of the wrong song. Inside What's Within Behind is my favorite song on DEI. No youtube video for it though.

Meshuggah sound nothing like Gorguts, and I don't think that they'd necessarily appeal to Gorguts fans. The only thing that is complex about Meshuggah is the rhythms. They are ok in small doses, but get boring rather quickly. I have Chaossphere, and that pretty much sounds like all their albums, except the first one, which is more thrashy.

Agreed there.

Gorguts is not only complex rhythm-wise, but complex in their songwriting as well.

All the metalcore I have ever heard has been complete crap, and that genre ranks lower than nu "metal" on my list. Won't you tell me "what bands I have to listen to?"

I got a sampler from CM with two songs from this (Bleed and the title track)...unimpressed. I really just don't like Meshuggah; fucking ANNOYING.

You should check out the track Combustion. If you don't like it you're most definitely probably gay.

Maiden = a British cheese factory. No thanks.

I can tolerate a couple songs here or there, but they're definitely not the legendary band they're made out to be.

yes they are cheesey but they are also fucking great! honestly looking at your sig I can find a few bands in there that are even cheesier... COB anyone?!

yes they are cheesey but they are also fucking great! honestly looking at your sig I can find a few bands in there that are even cheesier... COB anyone?!

They've just never struck me as a band I've wanted to listen to. I've bought a few of their albums, and while I like a couple songs from each, I really do have trouble sitting through the whole things. One can only take so many dual guitar harmonizations before cheddar starts seeping from your ears.

And CoB may be cheesy, but I don't feel they're as much so as Maiden, in all honesty.

They've just never struck me as a band I've wanted to listen to. I've bought a few of their albums, and while I like a couple songs from each, I really do have trouble sitting through the whole things. One can only take so many dual guitar harmonizations before cheddar starts seeping from your ears.

And CoB may be cheesy, but I don't feel they're as much so as Maiden, in all honesty.

duel guitar harmonizations... *drools*

Newbie here and I'll start complaining in this thread :D

* I don't really like Iron Maiden. Sure nice party music but nothing I would play at home. The one album I like, which may be controversial in itself, is "the x factor". I guess its because its the album that sounds the least like the Maiden we're used to.

* Paul Baloff is overrated. onded by blood is an alright early thrash release but I think the vocals totally ruin it. They simply arent good.

* I dont understand the praise of the early Opeth stuff. Its not bad but its kind of "meh" to me. Just cant get into morningrise, my arms or still life. I do like blackwater park, ghost reveries and watershed though (havent heard the "d-albums").

* I liked ream Theaters "train of thought". maybe my fav album by them. I remember alot of people didnt like it when it was released. Not sure what people think today. While on the subject I like when they want to show off like in the song metropolis. One of the best instrumental sections I've ever heard.

* I like alot of the "sell-out" albums by the big bands from the 80's. Metallicas Load cd's and Megadeths "risk" for example. Not better than their more metal stuff but still good music.

* I never understood the In Flames hype, nother the old or the new stuff appeals to me.

* I like the first couple of Hammerfall albums, especially "glory to the brave".

* Cannibal Corpse are overrated. Nothing really special but more importantly boring drumming!

* I like Ihsahns work better on his solo stuff than what he did in Emperor. Gotta say I never really listened alot to Emperor though so I feel I may not have given them enough of a chance.

Hm... Thats all I have for now :)

Newbie here and I'll start complaining in this thread :D

Welcome!

I don't really like Iron Maiden. Sure nice party music but nothing I would play at home. The one album I like, which may be controversial in itself, is "the x factor". I guess its because its the album that sounds the least like the Maiden we're used to.

Many of us here aren't into Maiden, but have a handful of songs we like here and there. I'm no fan of Maiden, but "Aces High" kicks ass.

I dont understand the praise of the early Opeth stuff. Its not bad but its kind of "meh" to me. Just cant get into morningrise, my arms or still life. I do like blackwater park, ghost reveries and watershed though (havent heard the "d-albums").

Keep listening. The first two albums are inaccessible even by Opeth's standards.

I like alot of the "sell-out" albums by the big bands from the 80's. Metallicas Load cd's and Megadeths "risk" for example. Not better than their more metal stuff but still good music.

You and The Ozzman (a poster here) will be good friends.

I never understood the In Flames hype, nother the old or the new stuff appeals to me.

Hardly controversial within the context of this forum. You've found the right place.

Cannibal Corpse are overrated. Nothing really special but more importantly boring drumming!

This is a popular opinion among most people who are truly into Death Metal.

I like Ihsahns work better on his solo stuff than what he did in Emperor. Gotta say I never really listened alot to Emperor though so I feel I may not have given them enough of a chance.

Listen to In the Nightside Eclipse and Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk and your opinion is bound to change.

Dont think I will change my opinion on Opeth. My first two Opeth albums were morningrise and my arms. I bought them several years ago and while I like to give them a spin every now and then I feel like they are way overrated.

The Emperor thing may be true though but they just never capured me enough to go back and listen again.

And on Iron maiden I do like select songs but I can never listen to a album from first to last song (except the x factor). I tend to irritate myself on Bruces voice.