Controversial opinions on metal

* I don't really like Iron Maiden. Sure nice party music but nothing I would play at home. The one album I like, which may be controversial in itself, is "the x factor". I guess its because its the album that sounds the least like the Maiden we're used to.

The X Factor has some great songs on it. And yeah, it's a nice break from the over-the-top/operatic vocals of Bruce.

* I don't really like Iron Maiden. Sure nice party music but nothing I would play at home. The one album I like, which may be controversial in itself, is "the x factor". I guess its because its the album that sounds the least like the Maiden we're used to.

I like most of Maiden's stuff... But The X Factor is their second best album right after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and most people seem to disagree with me when I say this. And Blaze is a bloody great vocalist.
Unless you absolutely cannot stand Bruce's voice at all, I suggest you try Maiden's newest, A Matter of Life and Death, if you haven't already. It's probably their darkest album since The X Factor and fairly progressive too.

* I liked ream Theaters "train of thought". maybe my fav album by them. I remember alot of people didnt like it when it was released. Not sure what people think today. While on the subject I like when they want to show off like in the song metropolis. One of the best instrumental sections I've ever heard.

The general opinion is that Train of Thought contains too much wankery, and I tend to agree. Some of the instrumental sections are pure genius but a lot of it could have been cut. Would've made a great EP. I prefer some of their other albums because they have more variety.

* I like alot of the "sell-out" albums by the big bands from the 80's. Metallicas Load cd's and Megadeths "risk" for example. Not better than their more metal stuff but still good music.

Load, Reload and St. Anger are quite alright. My beef is with the S/T.

The Emperor thing may be true though but they just never capured me enough to go back and listen again.

Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk is awesome. So is In the Nightside Eclipse, but I just love Anthems.

Definitely heed Zeph's word, he is experienced in the scholarly pursuit of melodic black metal (as well as Latin and Ancient Roman history :cool:).

* I like the first couple of Hammerfall albums, especially "glory to the brave".

That's acceptable as far as I'm concerned. When you consider how Hammerfall is usually compared with bands like Edguy, Rhapsody and Stratovarius, they are significantly more tasteful and less ridden with the neoclassical instrumental wankery of other European power metal acts. They actually come across as real metal instead of pop music with various metal elements. The first couple of records are definitely enjoyable, though perhaps not exactly stunning. Nothing I've heard from their more recent albums really caught my ear though.

Anthems to the Welkin At Dusk is awesome. So is In the Nightside Eclipse, but I just love Anthems.

Definitely heed Zeph's word, he is experienced in the scholarly pursuit of melodic black metal (as well as Latin and Ancient Roman history :cool:).

All Black Metal is melodic tbh.

I like most of Maiden's stuff... But The X Factor is their second best album right after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, and most people seem to disagree with me when I say this. And Blaze is a bloody great vocalist.
Unless you absolutely cannot stand Bruce's voice at all, I suggest you try Maiden's newest, A Matter of Life and Death, if you haven't already. It's probably their darkest album since The X Factor and fairly progressive too.

The general opinion is that Train of Thought contains too much wankery, and I tend to agree. Some of the instrumental sections are pure genius but a lot of it could have been cut. Would've made a great EP. I prefer some of their other albums because they have more variety.

Load, Reload and St. Anger are quite alright. My beef is with the S/T.

I did try the latest maiden. I remember liking at least one song (some mid-tempo piece) but I do have a problem liking most of that band and I think much of it is because of Bruce. He just gets on my nerves in the long run.

The thing about Dream Theater and wankery is that that is what they are. I think they are at their best when they do show off and do all that crazy stuff. Thats their thing and thats why I love ToT.

On Metallica I like s/t as well. Got no beef with any of their studio recordings other than St Anger which was the worst crap any big band has probably ever put out.

And on Emperor, I'll give them more chances. Sometimes I do find myself getting them but most often not. But then again I need to want to listen to something to appreciate it. Its rare that I can just pick out a random album and enjoy it, I need to feel like listening to it from the start.

I think anyone who is a fan of the euro-style power metal should really give the new DF cd a whirl. It's leaked on Demonoid atleast, and this is really refreshing DF cd. Id say right now its just under VotD, but it's much more diverse. Different speed transitions and this solo on the 3rd track is way to slow for even a DF member haha.

i hate you already

Love you too man :)

Oh and I have more...

* And Justice For All may be one of the best Metallica cd's songwise but I rarely listen to it because the sound drives med nuts. They really should do a remix and remaster for this one.

* I never understood the hype around Burzum. Pretty mediocre to me.

* I think Slayer is a overrated band. Not bad by any means but not the gods some people worship them as.

* Machine Heads "the burning red" is better than its reputation.

* Maybe not metal but whats up with the Kiss hype? Totally overrated songs and musicians. People are in it for the show I think.

* I dont think the new Cryptopsy vocalist suck. However the music sucks and the way they double all the vocal tracks is annoying. Bad album, bad direction for the band.

I think anyone who is a fan of the euro-style power metal should really give the new DF cd a whirl. It's leaked on Demonoid atleast, and this is really refreshing DF cd. Id say right now its just under VotD, but it's much more diverse. Different speed transitions and this solo on the 3rd track is way to slow for even a DF member haha.

This is why shorts are confusing. I thought you were talking about Dark Funeral at first :p

* And Justice For All may be one of the best Metallica cd's songwise but I rarely listen to it because the sound drives med nuts. They really should do a remix and remaster for this one.

* I never understood the hype around Burzum. Pretty mediocre to me.

* I think Slayer is a overrated band. Not bad by any means but not the gods some people worship them as.

ok i *reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally* hate you now

Save for the Burzum remark, you're pretty much correct.

After having heard their new song on their MySpace, I was actually happy to hear that the new DF album has leaked.

If only the torrent would finish...

I've said this before, but feel compelled to repeat: there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the production on And Justice For All. If anything, it's Master of Puppets that needs a facelift.

I've said this before, but feel compelled to repeat: there's ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with the production on And Justice For All. If anything, it's Master of Puppets that needs a facelift.

No bass man! And the guitars are annoyingly in your face and lacks "bottom" (in lack of a better word). Dont give me the crap that one cant hear bass in metal because you can. I hear it clear on all other metallica records (dunno about St Anger that one was so shitty I only bothered to listen to it a handful times).