Controversial opinions on metal

Listen we both know we are referring to an `overinflated ego` here. We both know I am referring to someone being arrogant. This is another example of what I am saying. You, here are trying to twist things when we both know what we mean.

Then you honestly believe you are not being arrogant?

Before you reply remember You are here as someone who does not like metal, trying to tell a group of metalheads what is metal and what isn't.

irrelevant shite? is this a discussion or one of your arguement ego things CASSETTEISGOD?

Oh I thought the Blackmore thing was irrelevant too? you changed your mind? it was in sounds magazine around the time of the rainbow album `difficult to cure` .

Nothing to do with ego. You said heavy metal didn't start until the 80's, I provided proof that a heavy metal album by a band nobody disputes as being heavy metal existed that was released in 1979.

You proceeded to bring up random irrelevant crap about you going to shows of theirs. Who cares? I mean, it's cool, but it doesn't matter.

I figured out an opinion that might actually be controversial. The original recording lineup of Deep Purple produced my favorite music by them. The most famous lineup isn't as good to me.

Actually I think I might agree. Might. You might be a fan of Captain Beyond in that case?

Reactions: Baroque
I could see an argument to say that Black Sabbath weren't a heavy metal band (at least on the early Ozzy albums) and were actually a doom metal band,

lolwat? This post doesn't make sense in more ways than one. So what you're saying is that doom metal outdates the genre of heavy metal? Of course they were a heavy metal band, and their sound of heavy metal was later coined Doom Metal.

And i dont know how someone can listen to Master of Reality, which is one of the heaviest albums of all time and say they're not a heavy metal band. Ridiculous

Reactions: CiG and Baroque
@MrTagoMago In just about every possible way, don't get me wrong DPiR is my favorite DP album, but there's really nothing to argue here. Just go listen to both of them back to back. I mean, everyone knows its their heaviest.

I wasn't trying to start an argument on it or anything but I always thought In rock was much heavier and more brutal than Machine head. I'll be fair and say it's been a while since I've listened to MH but I don't recall anything as blistering as Speed King or Blood Sucker. I do love Highway Star though.

Reactions: TechnicalBarbarity
lolwat? This post doesn't make sense in more ways than one. So what you're saying is that doom metal outdates the genre of heavy metal? Of course they were a metal band, and their sound of heavy metal was later coined Doom Metal.

Yeah, I would say that Doom Metal predates Heavy Metal actually, at least the musical form if not the term.

So far I have given my own opinions on why I think
Then you honestly believe you are not being arrogant?

Before you reply remember You are here as someone who does not like metal, trying to tell a group of metalheads what is metal and what isn't.

What I am saying is, and from the beginning of all this, is that, in my opinion, Black Sabbath arent `heavy metal`. No more, no less. That is my opinion.

lolwat? This post doesn't make sense in more ways than one. So what you're saying is that doom metal outdates the genre of heavy metal? Of course they were a heavy metal band, and their sound of heavy metal was later coined Doom Metal.

And i dont know how someone can listen to Master of Reality, which is one of the heaviest albums of all time and say they're not a heavy metal band. Ridiculous

To be fair being heavy doesn't inherently make you metal but I do agree its silly to argue against MOR being a metal album. I wouldn't say it's one of the heaviest of all time though but arguably the heaviest of its time.

So far I have given my own opinions on why I think

What I am saying is, and from the beginning of all this, is that, in my opinion, Black Sabbath arent `heavy metal`. No more, no less. That is my opinion.

Again: then do you not think it is arrogant to assume your opinion is more valid than that of the countless music experts that say Sabbath is metal?

To be fair being heavy doesn't inherently make you metal ... I wouldn't say it's one of the heaviest of all time though but arguably the heaviest of its time.

Not trying to start an arguemnt, but i completely disagree with pretty much everything there. Some of the heaviest riffs of ALL TIME are on that album. I think my initial post that you guys are responding to is spot on, and far from being an opinion too.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...nions-on-metal.377504/page-1801#post-11212721

Might should explain yourself better here though I understand what you're getting at and I agree.

This post explains it pretty well I think:

I could see an argument to say that Black Sabbath weren't a heavy metal band (at least on the early Ozzy albums) and were actually a doom metal band, given that the tempo of heavy metal is usually much faster, and palm mutes are used more often as a rhythmic device.

Nothing to do with ego. You said heavy metal didn't start until the 80's, I provided proof that a heavy metal album by a band nobody disputes as being heavy metal that was released in 1979.

You proceeded to bring up random irrelevant crap about you going to shows of theirs. Who cares? I mean, it's cool, but it doesn't matter.

Actually I think I might agree. Might. You might be a fan of Captain Beyond in that case?

CASSETTEGOD, I wondered where you had disappeared to for the last hour or so, you were googlin. Now then, I said around the late seventies and early eighties. You may go into weeks and days if you wish and squirm and twist but all you are doing is proving that you wont accept that my posts are correct, because you need to be seen winning the discussion like it is an arguement. `heavy metal` started late seventies / early eighties. And anyway the discussion isnt to do with dates to year if it wasnt the case. It is a discussion. You need to chill out.

Not trying to start an arguemnt, but i completely disagree with pretty much everything there. Some of the heaviest riffs of ALL TIME are on that album. I think my initial post that you guys are responding to is spot on, and far from being an opinion too.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...nions-on-metal.377504/page-1801#post-11212721

I should probably have said depending on your definition of heavy. I try to stay out of that argument because it really never goes anywhere.

@rusty water

i can post countless Sabbath songs that would just crush your opinion. But ill just go ahead and go with the first tsong they recorded ...

This song also contains one of the the heaviest metal riffs of all time. Do you disagree?

And i dont think Ozzy and Geezer woke up the next day and went "HEY, I THINK WE SHOULD CALL OURSELVES HEAVY METAL" that's just not how it works.

heavy metal` started late seventies / early eighties. And anyway the discussion isnt to do with dates to year if it wasnt the case. It is a discussion. You need to chill out.

I'm perfectly chill, stop tone policing. It's very egotistical of you, ironically enough.

I am willing personally to take heavy metal back to 1976 with Judas Priest's sophomore. That's hardly a semantics of weeks.