Controversial opinions on metal

Again I think I've said this before but angry people screaming into a microphone is more a hardcore punk thing than metal. Just throwing that out there.

Again I think I've said this before but angry people screaming into a microphone is more a hardcore punk thing than metal. Just throwing that out there.

Yes it is, but I think Ozzy is meaning the metal ones that do it also, and they do and I agree with him saying that.

You know, I only said that in my opinion I dont think Sabbath are ` heavy metal` and like hours later the battle rages on. I have to hand it to you guys, you cant get away with anything in here lol

Yes it is, but I think Ozzy is meaning the metal ones that do it also, and they do and I agree with him saying that.
Why don't you post the article and we'll decide for ourselves? Or are you too lazy? The other articles while you're at it with Iommi as well. It's easy to just say "I read it somewhere"

Reactions: CiG
Maybe it was, but now it's very much a part of multiple metal genres.

Not saying it isn't but I associate it more with hardcore punk bands or the kind that focused on pure aggression and Raw brutality. Most metal bands who scream seem to have more of a singing aspect to them. If you wanna get right down to it just screaming into a microphone with no element of singing is more of a Power Electronics thing (See Whitehouse and Sutcliffe Jugend).

You know, I only said that in my opinion I dont think Sabbath are ` heavy metal` and like hours later the battle rages on. I have to hand it to you guys, you cant get away with anything in here lol

This can happen on almost any forum really. I've seen this happen a lot.

How do you mean entrenched?

You've been proven wrong countless times by pretty much everybody, yet you mindlessly dig your heels in = entrenched, in your views/opinions.

You're unreasonable.

You repetitively fall back on the "it's just my opinion" line yet you also attempt to use what you would consider proof to substantiate your claims. If it's just your opinion, why have you tried so hard to prove it's not opinion but rather objective?

More fool me for getting involved.

Reactions: Baroque

Yeah, I've never understood why metal has this reputation of being "angry music". The lyrics are seldom particularly angry, and the vocal styles range from operatic to unearthly. They're rarely outright angry, except in the case of Nu Metal angst.

You've been proven wrong countless times by pretty much everybody, yet you mindlessly dig your heels in = entrenched, in your views/opinions.

You're unreasonable.

You repetitively fall back on the "it's just my opinion" line yet you also attempt to use what you would consider proof to substantiate your claims. If it's just your opinion, why have you tried so hard to prove it's not opinion but rather objective?

More fool me for getting involved.

I havent been `proven wrong` on anything Ive said all day

I tell the truth so thats why I say about egos, because whats the point otherwise? It is perplexing when I say the truth and people argue against that, and especially as its only a discussion online. I said that Sabbath not being metal was my opinion all along, it is my opinion.

Yeah, I've never understood why metal has this reputation of being "angry music". The lyrics are seldom particularly angry, and the vocal styles range from operatic to unearthly. They're seldom outright angry, except in the case of Nu Metal angst.

Yeah most traditional based metal bands don't really scream hell even with stuff like Death metal and Black Metal while they have nasty vocals most of them don't come across as screaming to me as much as growling or gurgling.

I said that Sabbath not being metal was my opinion all along, it is my opinion.

So stop trying to prove your opinion right then dumbass.

If you aren't interested in proving something right or wrong and instead just wanted to produce a subjective opinion, don't start debates wherein you cite shit to substantiate your opinion.

Reactions: Baroque
It's difficult to sound angry when you're busy crafting riffs, melodies, complex structures etc.

That emotion is much better suited to genres that rely on energy, attitude, rawness and simplistic musicianship ie hardcore, grindcore, noise...

I agree though I don't think there's anything wrong with genres like that. I do think there tends to be an issue when you rely on those elements but have nothing special about you to separate yourself from other bands in the same style thus becoming generic.

So stop trying to prove your opinion right then dumbass.

If you aren't interested in proving something right or wrong and instead just wanted to produce a subjective opinion, don't start debates wherein you cite shit to substantiate your opinion.

I havent started anything, I said it and then you said I was wrong, when I cant be wrong as its my opinion. And I have sunstantiated and proven why a couple of times. There was only myself whom gave an opinion on what heavy metal is, no one else could put forward what they think `heavy metal ` is, they dont know!! they had to post links to others opinions lol. One other person gave an own opinion on what `heavy metal` is and admitted it wasnt a very good one.

You took this beyond subjectivity the moment you started citing sources that agree with you. You made this into an objective discussion.

I happen to think Manilla Road are the greatest metal band of all time, that's subjective and no matter how much disagreement I generate, as long as I maintain that it's merely my opinion, it remains subjective.

But the moment I cite [insert musician here] as back up and then start citing opinion polls, sales, etc. I open myself up to being eviscerated with objectivity.

I agree though I don't think there's anything wrong with genres like that. I do think there tends to be an issue when you rely on those elements but have nothing special about you to separate yourself from other bands in the same style thus becoming generic.

I have no problem with genres like that either, if it seemed like I was putting them down it wasn't intentional. As I've gotten older, angry music has lost a lot of it's appeal for me, but certain times all I want is Land Speed Record or Scum.